s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice from AMEX experts

@longtimelurker wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

Update: 

@I had called Amex @ 800-243-3888 and she kept me on hold and asked her Supervisor. After few minutes she came back to me and said that the MSD would be your new card MSD and it would not reflect your previous coporate card date (MSD). 

Here's my take: 

I know few on this forum had reported that  they were able to back date (MSD) to their previous/past corporate card. That could have been a one-off "Good Customer Service" gesture from Amex.

It is very very interesting to see if anyone from this point forward comes and report that they were able to MSD (Member Since Date) to their old coporate card.  

My wife did it just last week. She got online (after I informed her what MSD was) used the chat option and asked if her MSD could be corrected. They asked what it should be, and she simply told them 2008. Which was the year she got her AMEX corporate card. They asked a few questions to confirm she was who she was, and said they have updated the MSD and thanks her for trusting AMEX for the past 6yrs, and had a new card sent out. 

That is great news. The difference in your DW and my situation is: 

She already had an AMEX card and then she had asked for change of MSD and they did for her. That is called customer service. Most likely she would not have encounter the department or the lady I had spoken to. I had spoken to the depratment where you can apply for new card.  

In my situation its like I almost have to take a chance to apply for the AMEX card, get AMEX card and then request them to change MSD and keep my fingers crossed. Also my corporate card was in 2002. It is possible they may not have record of it? 

I think from time to time, perhaps as with j_castell's wife, it seems that sometimes CSRs will take your word for it (might be too much effort to research if it isn't immediately available).   When I had my card backdated, I said I couldn't remember the exact date but it was between 1986 and 1988.   They backdated it to 1987.   After thinking more I suspect the date was 1988, but not totally sure (and not going to complain!)

You made a great point. However if CSR would had been told/taught not to do MSD with a old corporate card at all, then one has to be prepared for a rejection. Or one may tell them that they used to have AMEX card (without specifying that it was a Corporate Card) back in 2xxx or something like that. And pray that CSR would take his/her word (as you had said). Which by the way 99% of the time happens. And changes the MSD. In my case it would be a nice boost and my credit score would get even sweeter (though not a huge jump in my opinion but some points higher for sure).    

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 11 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:

Which by the way 99% of the time happens.   

99%?  Citation?

Message 12 of 20
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

Which by the way 99% of the time happens.   

99%?  Citation?

Unless it involves disputing a transaction (large amount) which involves researching and confirming on their side. I am also using 99%  as my own experience with multiple CCs. I had not have any research artcile to support my 99% assumption. 

Message 13 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

My wife's situation was exactly like yours unless I'm not understanding it.

She had a corporate AMEX issued to her for travel. It never reported to the bureaus either. She used chat function and they did it. Whether they confirmed or not is on them. She just requested it and they said yes.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 14 of 20
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

My wife's situation was exactly like yours unless I'm not understanding it.

She had a corporate AMEX issued to her for travel. It never reported to the bureaus either. She used chat function and they did it. Whether they confirmed or not is on them. She just requested it and they said yes.

Thank you. I am really encouraged now. Few questions if I may ask: 

1. Was that her first AMEX (after her previous Corporate one)? 
2. Did she apply over the phone or online? 
3. What AMEX card she had got now (not the previous corporate one)? 
4. What is teh CL on that new card? 
5. Did she call them right away after receiving the card or after some time? 

Message 15 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

1. Her first AMEX was the corporate issued card.
2. She app'd for her new card online.
3. AMEX ED
4. Measly $1,100
5. She used the chat function on her online account after she got the card in the mail.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 16 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

1. Yes it was her first AMEX after the corporate card

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 17 of 20
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:
1. Her first AMEX was the corporate issued card.
2. She app'd for her new card online.
3. AMEX ED
4. Measly $1,100
5. She used the chat function on her online account after she got the card in the mail.

Thank you for your quick response. 

Message 18 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Good luck

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 19 of 20
sjt
Senior Contributor

It might be a YMMV thing.

My friend was able to get their personal card backdated to their corporate card year, but his personal card still reported the year he got the account on all three CR.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.