Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on 5 month plan

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Need advice on 5 month plan

I am trying to get my ducks in a row for my credit plan over the next 5 months. I have my sights set on apping for the csp in Jan. or Feb. of next year. I'm now at alittle over 70k in available credit and my income is only 62k. So is there a chance csp will deny me for too much credit? Should I plan on closing some cards before applying? Should I not ask for anymore cli's? Please help me with a game plan.....thanks!!

*Sorry for any mistakes.....I'm on my cell
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
honky
Regular Contributor

Re: Need advice on 5 month plan

Looks like they'd approve you if you've had the Freedom for a while.  Chase isn't over extending themselves with you and you already have 4 cards over 5k.  As long as your credit history and # of inquiries are in line..you would likely be approved as-is.

Starting Score: 580 2/03/12
Current Score: 810 EQ // 829 TU(Walmart)
Goal Score: Achieved!

Wallet: Citi Forward(13.5k), Ink plus(18k), CSP(13.5k), Freedom(6k), BoA123(13k), Alliant CU(5k), Walmart(2k), Kohls(1.4k), QuickSIlver(7.5k) Amex Simplycash Business(46.5k)
Message 2 of 11
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Your use of the credit available to you is as important as the raw amount.  If you are keeping utilization low, maintaining a perfect payment history, and not maxing out any of your balances, I think you'd have a good shot at the CSP with your present scores and income.

If, however, most of those cards have a maximum reported balance at or near the limit, or you are carrying utilization over 10%, I'd be more dubious of your chances.

I would recommend waiting on any new CLIs, though, until you submit the CSP app.  

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 3 of 11
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I have two cards with Chase....the Bp gas card and the Freedom. Both will be a year old in November. I thought it would be good to wait until they were at least a year old. My utility hangs at around 9% right now and will be around 5% by January. I took some 0% interest deals on two cards which is why I am running balances.

So, the amount of credit you have available to you is not as important as how much you are using? I thought it all counted against you because it was all available to you. I just remember my parents telling me that years ago when I was a child. I guess times have changed. Smiley Happy

So when I do app, will they likely ask me why I need more credit? If so, what should I say? I just want a better card and I really like Chase.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 4 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:
I am trying to get my ducks in a row for my credit plan over the next 5 months. I have my sights set on apping for the csp in Jan. or Feb. of next year. I'm now at alittle over 70k in available credit and my income is only 62k. So is there a chance csp will deny me for too much credit? Should I plan on closing some cards before applying? Should I not ask for anymore cli's? Please help me with a game plan.....thanks!!

Hi ya SnowkittySmiley Wink

IMHO you should be ok 

You have great cards,limits and history on your side 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 11
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

IMHO you should be ok 

Hi! Cat Very Happy

Thanks! So basically I am fine with just not asking for anymore cli's or opening any new accounts. Let alittle more time under my belt and no need to really close any cards to make my available credit less? I'm amazed that last year I started out with a 99/500 card from boa and now I have over 70k in credit! It's amazing and scary! When I started thinking about it, I thougt "Oh no, now I have too much" *lol* Chase has always asked hard questions when I have called and I want to be prepared...lol  I really want an instant approval with them since I had to beg and plead for the freedom and bp! Cat Tongue

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 6 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

IMHO you should be ok 

Hi! Cat Very Happy

Thanks! So basically I am fine with just not asking for anymore cli's or opening any new accounts. Let alittle more time under my belt and no need to really close any cards to make my available credit less? I'm amazed that last year I started out with a 99/500 card from boa and now I have over 70k in credit! It's amazing and scary! When I started thinking about it, I thougt "Oh no, now I have too much" *lol* Chase has always asked hard questions when I have called and I want to be prepared...lol  I really want an instant approval with them since I had to beg and plead for the freedom and bp! Cat Tongue

IMHO I think all you need is the time between apps and your last was 6/28 everything else looks fine to me

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 11
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

IMHO you should be ok 

Hi! Cat Very Happy

IMHO I think all you need is the time between apps and your last was 6/28 everything else looks fine to me

Ok...my plan is to app at the end of January so both my Amex cards will be a year old. All my other accounts are turning a year old now. That will also give me 7 months since my last app. Hopefully that will be good enough for them. Thanks!! Cat Very Happy

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 8 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

IMHO you should be ok 

Hi! Cat Very Happy

Ok...my plan is to app at the end of January so both my Amex cards will be a year old. All my other accounts are turning a year old now. That will also give me 7 months since my last app. Hopefully that will be good enough for them. Thanks!! Cat Very Happy

Good luck you know I'll be pulling for you Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I concur. By the time you want to app you would have given them more than enough time to age. I wouldn't worry about having too much credit either.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.