tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Need advice on Chase Credit Cards - Shuffling

@Anonymous wrote:

I see. Carry all 3 cards to maximize points

Freedom Classic for 5% on current category

CSR for 3% on dining and travel

Freedom unlimited 1.5% on everything else. Got it!

I might carry the 4th card as my amazon prime rewards and get 2% on gas, but that doesn't go towards UR points. I can always use the amazon card for amazon purchases at 5% and gas at 2% and thats it. I'll have to think about how that will benefit me, or just rack up the UR points on 1.5%. Once I get the CSR, i might use that specifically for Every single purchase to make sure I hit the 4k spending.

Some people do have two Freedom cards so that they can get more than 7,500 UR per quarter in the 5% categories.  (The $1,500 spend cap is low for some people in some categories).

These days, 2% somewhere categories don't mean much, as there are free 2% everywhere cards.  The only use for the Chase Amazon is on Amazon purchases.

If you decide to go the UR route for travel, then the 1.5UR on Chase Freedom Unlimited becomes a minimum of 2.25% (when used to purchase travel with the CSR) so once you have met the $4K spend on CSR, it makes sense to use the FU everywhere except where a card gives more than 2.25%  (obviously the 3UR categories of CSR and 5UR of Freedom, but you might have higher % on some other cards)   If you transfer points to partners, you might value URs even higher.

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.