Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on combining (4) Chase cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice on combining (4) Chase cards

Wasn't there a discussion yesterday about how Chase would not do a PC for a co-branded card like Amazon and Starbucks over to the Chase Freedom?

Also, if I remember, some stated that Chase will not turn a Visa into a MC and vice-versa.

Just an FYI.

Message 11 of 14
ZoomZoom22
Valued Member

I had previously called said backdoor number to convert my "non-rewards" WAMU card to a Chase rewards (Freedom) and was told I was not eligible for a PC.

When I talked to Chase about the combine, they did offer to wrap all 4 into 1 rewards card (Freedom mentioned) or a low APR card.  The reason I declined was to do that they wanted me to wrap them into my 2005 or 2008 aged cards (not the 1995 or 1998 which are just regular Visa cards).

And interesting thing happened when I did this "combine".  They screwed it up...

Previous available credit:

card 1:  2,400

card 2:  4,500

card 3:  1,650

card 4:  3,000

Total line(s):  $11,550

I asked for a (4) to (2) combine to the oldest aged cards which left me with:

Card 1:  6,150

Card 2:  5,400

total credit line, both cards:  $11,550

Soooo I log onto the website today and it looks like this:

Card 1:  (former 2,400) is now $5,400 (looks like they combined 1 and 4)

Card 2:  (former 4,500) is still $4,500 (they didn't zero this one out or close)

Card 3: (former 1,650) is now $6,150 (looks like they combined card 2 and this card)

Card 4: (former 3,000) is now $100 (reduction in credit line from 3,000 to $100)

Total credit line is now:  $16,150 (a $4600 increase) and NONE of the cards/accounts are closed. 

They had advised yesterday on the phone the update would happen immediately and could be viewed/be active in 5 minutes.  I logged in today and this is what I saw. 

Wow score on for the good guys???  Looks like I just got the best of all worlds except the APR's on 2 cards still are the sux Smiley Happy

Message Edited by RoBoCoPP on 04-15-2009 10:34 AM
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well thanks for your advice on what happened to you.  I did not want to apply for anything if I did not have too but I finally decided to apply to the credit union where I have an account.  I wanted to take out one card with a 6000.00 limit and transfer the other 4 cards onto that and pay it off.  The interest would of been 8.99% but they don't charge anything for balance transfers.  Anyway I was not approved.  They use Equifax and that is my lowest score.  They did pull my credit to see if there was something they could do to change there minds but it did not work.  I have a bankrupcy still on my report from 2001 even though I did not go bankrupt but I filed so therefore I had to take the hit for all these years.  I also have student loans on my report that I am paying for my son and I have a car loan.  I owe about 5300 in credit card bills.  I had decided not to take any more student loans so my husband and I were just giving the money to my son for the last 3 months but we could not keep doing that so I did have to take another very small student loan.  The funny thing is that I pay all of my bills each and every month.  I have realized that I don't believe I am going to get anyone to help me with this credit card debt and therefore my son graduates in May and so in June I will just take all the money that we have left over and pay it on the credit cards.  I guess in these tough economic times I can understand but it does not make any sense to me.  If I can pay 600-700 a month in credit cards then why couldn't I pay the $180.00 a month that the balance transfers would cost and then use the rest of the money towards paying it down.  I might have to pay interest but it would of made this much more manageable.  I guess I am meant to get this paid off myself which I am sure I can do over the next 6-7 months.  My cedit scores right now are:  648 Equifax; 693 Experian and 692 TransUnion.  I am sure that they will go down because of the inquiry to get the credit card from the credit union.  Oh well what can I do.  Just have to do the best you can do.  Any ideas from anyone would ve welcome. 
Message 13 of 14
athensguy
Valued Contributor

You can swap to co-branded cards. I went from a regular Chase Platinum without rewards to a BP Visa. Then I changed the BP Visa to a signature card.

The primary problem with changing the card is that I have now have three listing for the same card on the Chase website, because the account number changed each time. The swaps reported correctly on my CRs.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.