Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on dealing with reported balances on multiple cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on dealing with reported balances on multiple cards

Ok, since August, I've been using my BofA secured Visa every month and then paying in full once I get my statement. I never let a balance carry over. But last month I got an AMEX Everyday and a new BofA auto loan. I've started paying the AMEX the same way (letting a decent amount report, then PIF after I get my statement) and just made my first auto loan payment.

As I had expected, my scores took a dip once my car loan was detected (TU dropped 3 points and EX dropped about 27 points) with the exception of EQ (which increased by more than 30 points). AMEX has now started reporting on TU and has backdated to 1999, boosting my TU considerably. EX and EQ have yet to detect the AMEX. EQ, however, did give me an alert today saying that my Visa balance has decreased (this past month I put around $30 less than the previous month so EQ seems to believe that I'm not paying in full but rather gradually paying off my balance) and gave me another score increase.

I've read that it's best to let only one account report a balance and for any other revolving accounts to report zero. But I've also read that paying off an account completely could hurt a score (but that could be in reference to installment loans only) and it appears that EQ is increasing my score for gradually paying of my "balance."

Since I'm mostly using my AMEX at the moment, should I no longer let anything report on the Visa? Or would it look better to keep letting a smaller "balance" report for another few months?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice on dealing with reported balances on multiple cards

I am replying cause I want to know this answer as well. 

I use 3 main cards. For rewards. I want to know how to get the best score. 

Pay 2 before the statement date and let them report $0 due. And have one report a statement of $20 or $30 due? Or do I let all three show a statement of $30 and pif before the bill due date? Idk. 

I read let all cards report a $0 balance when the statement is cut except for one? Idk. 

Message 2 of 4
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Pay all but one card to 0, let one card report between 1% - 9% utilization.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay all but one card to $0 BEFORE statement cut date correct?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.