cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on first unsecured credit card (Not student but still new to credit)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on first unsecured credit card (Not student but still new to credit)

So I have been lurking around in the forums for a while.. couple of months.. and I need some advice on a first unsecured card. I will try and provide as much info as possible for you guys to give me sound advice.

Here goes - I came to the US in 2007 as an intl student and found out that I could not get an SSN.. only way was to get a part time job.. long story short , i didnt have time for that and graduated in Dec 2011 with my degree. I started working in the US in April 2012 through a program called OPT (optional practical training) - allows intl students to get work experience or a foot in the door (no sponsorship reqd).

I got my SSN in late March and in late april , apped for a discover more, got denied (too new to credit) and then went straight for a Cap1 secured (CL - $350) that ive had till now. I also have had a chase checking/savings account since July '07 that I used for college. My direct deposit goes there every week.

Furthermore, I took a car lease (3 year) in mid July. Still going strong.

My income from the full time job is $70k/ yr. My cap 1 secured card says valid from 05/12 - 05/15.. I was approved in late april but got the card in mid may. I dont know when I can count as the start of my credit history but my sixth statement will be generated on the 28th of Oct.

Inquires:

- BMW credit (07/03)
- VW credit (07/12)
- Cap 1 secured (end of april)
- Discover - (end of april)
- State farm insurance (07/14)

This is approx. (Credit Karma shows 6 though, but I am waiting for my first FICO credit report to find all inquiries and dispute if reqd)

So, here is my questions:

- what is my credit history (length)? - 6 months or 7?

- Can I generate a FICO score now or after the 6th statement?

- Also, I would like to get a new card soon (Mid- Nov) but not waste the inquiry (basically have a decent chance at the card i app for). I am looking at Chase freedom (as I have a long banking history with Chase), Citi Forward and Discover More. - Do you think I have a chance with either of these cards? I want a decent limit (above $1000.) Cap 1 cash rewards is nice, and i know i probably can get it, but i dont want to be stuck with a card that cant grow with me (with respect to limit). My purpose to get a new card is to show more revolving accounts so that I can build good history for a prime card later like Blue cash preferred and chase sapphire preferred or us bank cash+.

PS - All payments were always done in full for my lease, car/home rental insurance, cap1 credit card. Util was always <20%. Currently it is 16%. When my oct statement cuts it will be lower than 10%. BTW - Never paid interest.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice on first unsecured credit card (Not student but still new to credit)

The date above on credit inquiries are (month/day) -- sorry made a mistake on that one.

Message 2 of 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need advice on first unsecured credit card (Not student but still new to credit)

Judging by this you should hit the 6 month mark next month. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.