Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on getting SP Cli's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on getting SP Cli's

Need Advice been in the garden a couple months and want to turn my attention towards increasing credit lines but not sure how to go about it. Here is what I have will list oldest to newest

Amex: Spg, Delta Plat- sept 2016 tried the love button and never got an increase

Discover- Sep 2016- 

cit Costco- March 2017

chase amazon- April 2017

5% utilization and scores around 690 across the board

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Need advice on getting SP Cli's

Amex you should be able to log in and ask for 3x your current limit on one card.  (Then you will have to wait 181 days to ask for another CLI on any Amex card, or 91 days if you are denied.)

Discover you can log in and ask at any time.  They haven't been too generous as of late, though, but no harm in asking.

Citi - not sure if the cobranded cards are the same, but you should be able to go into the Request A Credit Line Increase screen and if the exact wording says "a credit report will not be requested" it's a SP.

Chase will absolutely take you out of the garden due to a HP, and you have to call to request.

Message 2 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

+1 K Smiley Happy

I think with the Citi Costco, you can get sp luv if eligble every 6 months.
Message 3 of 6
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Amex is always SP... ask for 3X limit after 61 days and every 6 months after that.

Citi can be HP or SP depending on the language on the luv page.  As soon as you get the SP language, go for it.  Then you can do it every 6 months after that.

Chase luv is always a HP.  If you're good, they may give you a SP CLI, but they're not available by request.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried since the first 91 days for 3x on amex and never any increase. Even over score of 670. Any thoughts on what score is needed? I tried the citi SP last week and said score was to low Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have tried since the first 91 days for 3x on amex and never any increase. Even over score of 670. Any thoughts on what score is needed? I tried the citi SP last week and said score was to low Smiley Sad

Score isn't always the only issue.  Sometimes it's something as small as "not enough experience at current credit limit".  While the reason for denial can be good guidance, it doesn't always paint the full picture.  Sometimes a lot of spending on a particular card is helpful, other times, neglect seems just as helpful if not more.  I encourage you to keep trying the for the soft pull CLIs as time passes, as you'll see numerous testimonials of folks not having immediate success and later getting it, even if they did not understand the reasoning.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.