cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on getting a credit card with no history.

tag
DMarc0

Re: Need advice on getting a credit card with no history.

Internetworking, I'm a an engineer for a backbone ISP/Telcom.

Message 21 of 24
100down0monthly
New Contributor

As mentioned above, just get a secured card.  At about 4 months, apply for a Wally card. 

Message 22 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

Another vote for BofA + Cap One combo, with a little caveat that you should get as high a limit as you can afford. For the Cap One secured, in the long run you'll have to close it since it won't graduate; the objective is to have a card that doesn't get reported as secured so you can obtain your first non-secured cards.

Message 23 of 24
DMarc0

My plan is to go for the Cap One newcomers which is unsecured and the BofA secured (which should graduate to unsecured). I would prefer not to go two secured and hopefully get the newcomers.

My steps are going to be the following.

1. Call Annualcreditreport and see what is up with my history, the website errored out so I assume this means I have nothing to report ton.

2. Apply for Newcomers and wait until I know if I'm approved.

3. Open BofA secured.

Or if it helps my odds, should I open BofA card prior to trying to go after the newcomer?

I'm migrating to Schwab bank account so I won't be pursuing this until I have the new bank account up and running, sometime next week.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.