cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on getting higher cc limits???

tag
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

Need advice on getting higher cc limits???

I have a question about what is the best way to go about getting increased limits and all of what im asking i can do equally without any issues and i also have to say if it consists of getting charged interest i could care less also.

1)Use my cards and just pay them down per month then use it again when the limits get lower? say using them to the limit.

2)Use them to almost the limit and then payoff once per month leaving $10 on each?

3)Use them almost to limit everytime and payoff as many times as i want per month? like 3-4 times in the month.

The reason im asking is do using my cards more throught the month help my chances faster to get higher limits, i have 4 cards with each having $300 limits. And please remember i dont care about the interest if needed, all i care is getting higher limits the fastest way i have the $ to pay everything anytime.

EQ-784 TU-777 EXP-772 12/11/15

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
New cards 12/12-NFCU-MC(18.5k), Simplicity(9.2k),Slate(7.5k),Amex(3.8k)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice on getting higher cc limits???

If one of them is secured and doesnt report as secured (like Cap1 card), you can increase your CL on that card and let it report with the higher limit.  Once it reports you can then try to get higher CL with your other cards.  Ive read that cards like to have someone else be the first one to give you increase.  Also, you can try credit unions as they seem to give higher limits as well.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 21
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

I have 4 cards orchard bank, credit one, first premier, and cap1(only card that is secured). All with $300 limits. I also am an authorized user on 4 of my girlfirends cards, citi diamond, mets card, royal carribean card, and amazon card.

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
Message 3 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Which cards do you currently have? If you have dead end cards you will never get those 300 dollar limits raised. That being said, if one of your cards is secured, I would do as another poster suggested and add to your limit by increasing the amount of your deposit. Once you've done that, you can apply for a new cartd and hopefully they match your limit on the secured card.

Or, you can get a secured cartd with a bank that is known to graduate and place a nioce deposit.

Ummm also, like duncanrr suggested, start building a relationship with a credit union. My credit union credit card is by far my highest limit card
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 21
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

Already started with the credit union and took out a small loan to build. I also have an average card life of 5years. Im building now but don't really know how the banks think in terms of usage and higher limits. Like i said i have the money to play around with to help me out to build to where i want to go and my girl help me with her good credit.

Message 5 of 21
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

Im not really planning on applying until my default student loan comes out of default in 8months and i get the 2 negatives off my report and they fall off next year but im trying to get them off now at the moment.

Message 6 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest closing first premier and credit one, you don't need them. In 8 month, when your stdent loans are reporting positively, head for an amex charge card. The amex will open doors for future prime banks. Increase your deposit on cap 1 secured card to 2 k
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 21
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
I would suggest closing first premier and credit one, you don't need them. In 8 month, when your stdent loans are reporting positively, head for an amex charge card. The amex will open doors for future prime banks. Increase your deposit on cap 1 secured card to 2 k

+1 Good advice!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 8 of 21
chen9810

I would suggest try Discover now. Discover provides unsecured cards for students or people without much credit history. Of course, when you build the discover card (like the more card). Don't add any sign up bonus request (It could be up to $200, but may not be good for you).

Starting Score (FICO): EX: 667 7/6/2012, EQ: 721 7/22/2012
Goal Score: 750 till Dec 2013

Chase: Freedom (1.7k), Sapphire Preferred (5k), Hyatt (5k), United (5.7k); Amex: Blue Cash (5k), Blue Sky (5k); Citi Dividend (4k); Discover More (5k); US bank FlexPerk Cash (2k); BoA student (2.5k)
Message 9 of 21
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

I don't want to apply for new cards until fix everything that needs fixing. I also would prefer not to get rid of any cards at the moment until i get approved for better cards, the thing is im using all my cards so its only helping me not hurting me.

I really just wanted to know the best course of action to take so i know whats the best way for how to make it look good to the banks in there eyes and i would use and pay the cards off that way. But i will definetly be adding more during this year to my cap1 secured since it will help give me higher limits when im ready, i will keep depositing until it get to the max credit line of 3k.

But after i get some good cards i will fire those 2 cards that were mentioned(first premier and credit one).

If u guys have any other suggestions i can do in the meantime of this process my ears are open to anything else.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.