Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on what cards my GF and a roomate should do an app spree for

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on what cards my GF and a roomate should do an app spree for

Hey guys! The title briefly summizes what I am looking for advice on but I'll elaborate.

I am already a CC nerd and have a bunch of cards myself and after sharing some of my successes with my GF and one of my roomates they want to conduct their first mini app sprees! (Iremember my first beer *tear*)

So I already have some targets in mind for them but I wanted to see what you guys thought would be some good cards to get. My gf has pretty good scores, low utilization, good income but a thin file. My roomate has fair-average scores, good income, medium utilization, and also a relatively thin file. 

My list so far is (in no particular order)

Citi DC

AMEX BCP or BCE

CapOne QS

Discover IT

Chase Freedom

CSP 

To be clear this list won't be for each of them or even necessarily app for all of these cards for either one. Just looking for cards I may have not considered. Primary interests are low or no af, good into reward, and/or cash back. 

Thoughts? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice on what cards my GF and a roomate should do an app spree for

Not sure what constitutes pretty good scores or fair to average scores in this scenario, but have either tried any prequals yet? Chase, Cap One and Amex in particular are pretty solid. Discover is good for thin files. Cashback cards are good from either Cap One, Chase, Amex or Discover, I'd look them all over and find the one that best suits their needs and go from there. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

Not sure what constitutes pretty good scores or fair to average scores in this scenario, but have either tried any prequals yet? Chase, Cap One and Amex in particular are pretty solid. Discover is good for thin files. Cashback cards are good from either Cap One, Chase, Amex or Discover, I'd look them all over and find the one that best suits their needs and go from there. 

That is my plan for sure but I was just looking for some advice on whether I was missing any good cards. I'm not terribly worried about the ones they qualify for because I plan to do my due dilligence in researching the likelihood of getting approved for them. Basically as long as soemone isn't recoomending the Black card or cards with a multiple hundred dollar AF then that should be good.

Sorry for not being more clear initially but thanks for your input!

Message 3 of 8
creditguy
Valued Contributor

No problem, I forgot to add the Citi Double Cash and BofA has some good cashback cards as well. Citi prequals are generally very solid but BofA not so much. Good luck and if they do go for chase, don't forget the 5/24 rule, but with thin files that's probably not an issue. 

Message 4 of 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

My personal opinion is they should focus on cards that match their spend and not so much on what are "good" cards, for example:

the CSP is a great card to a lot of people but to others it is rather pointless since they wouldn't use it as a travel card, as a cash back card it might not be the best choice

Discover and freedom can be great cards if the categories are relavent to their normal spend and they are not bothered by having to activate them

Why look at getting both the DC and QS? both are general spend cards and to me it seems redundant

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

My personal opinion is they should focus on cards that match their spend and not so much on what are "good" cards, for example:

the CSP is a great card to a lot of people but to others it is rather pointless since they wouldn't use it as a travel card, as a cash back card it might not be the best choice

Discover and freedom can be great cards if the categories are relavent to their normal spend and they are not bothered by having to activate them

Why look at getting both the DC and QS? both are general spend cards and to me it seems redundant

There would be two primary purposes for considering that course of action.

1. Take advantage of intro bonus for the QS but knowing the DC is overall the better card. 

2. Adding more accounts to their files so future inquirs wont hit the AAoA so hard.

Additionally, more credit makes it easier to keep a low utilization and looks better overall. I do agree with you on the CSP but that intro bonus is hard to ignore, particularly when/if you combine it with the the other Chase cards that qualify for UR. 

Discover is Far up there as far as I'm concerned because that first year offer turns it into a 2-10% card. That can't really be beat. Thanks for your input!

Message 6 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Read my thread here for lots of good cash back cards:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 8
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

A few possible additions to consider depending on their spend habits, profiles, and preferences:

• Bank of America Cash Rewards - Very similar to an Amex BCE/BCP, but with the grocery and gas tiers swapped. I.E. 3% gas, 2% grocery, 1% everything else.
  • US Bank Cash +  - Pick your own categories! Great for things like utilities or fast food that might not normally qualify for special category bonuses on other cards.
  • Chase Freedom Unlimited - Useless to me since I'd rather use the Citi DC for 2% general spend, but great for people who focus on UR points, plus I believe there's a signup bonus.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.