Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice regarding the impact of one account on my score

tag
helaurin
New Contributor

Need advice regarding the impact of one account on my score

Anyone have an idea on if there is anything I can do about this one particular account that is hurting my credit score?  

Long story short, in 11/2006, while at the airport heading out to vacation in the Caribbean, I was enticed to apply for the airline’s featured credit card, which awards frequent flyer mileage points. I applied, turned in the paperwork, enjoyed vacation, and actually forgot I’d ever applied.  Nothing ever came in the mail to remind me.  No statements, no credit card, nada… until 4/2007, five months after I applied, I get a statement indicating I owe them $750, for the annual fee, late payment fees, interest fees, etc.  

I call them up.  Turns out their computer system automatically abbreviated my address. I explained that I never received anything from them until that month, not even the card itself.  I asked them to correct my address, got them to waive  a couple of the late payments as I wanted to correct all the issues, made an over-the-phone payment for the full remainder of the balance – and after taking all the information, processing the over-the-phone in-full payment, they informed me that they were closing the account, and that I “should have been responsible with the account”. 

Heck, I didn’t even know I had been given the account because I hadn’t received anything in the mail! And of course, I’ve got this horrible looking account now on my credit report, which won’t fall off until early 2014!   Other than NEVER applying for a credit card while in the airport heading out to vacation again, does anyone have any specific suggestions about reducing the effect this account has on my credit score?

Starting Score: 2014 775
Current Score: 822
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.