Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise for Amex application for Jan 2015

tag
Guinness
Contributor

Need advise for Amex application for Jan 2015

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas everyone!  Due to this wonderful forum I have gone from a starting FICO of low 600 to a TU score of 746 amd EX score of 749 Smiley Very Happy  EQ is still a nightmare of 687 but still better than what I was at. 

So last week I finally got in with Amex (so excited) Delta gold my SL is only $1k but that ok happy to get my feet in.  I was told to app for my second Amex in January need advise which card to apply for and when.  I was considering the PRG, Everyday prefered or the BCP.  I already have a Sams club MC and Sallie Mae.  I would also like to qualify for the 61 day 3X increase but I read if I apply for a second card the 61 day starts again from the last application (please confirm).

I went pretty crazy with the applying for credit and have racked up a crazy amount of inquaires (26 in TU and 32 in EX Smiley Embarassed) and credit cards.  The second Amex is pretty much my last application unless something crazy (diners club) comes available in 2015.  I think I read the second Amex card would be a soft pull and only a hard pull if I get approved (please confirm).

So based upon the above do you think I can get another Amex in January and which card should I apply for?  I appreciate any advise Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Need advise for Amex application for Jan 2015

@Guinness wrote:

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas everyone!  Due to this wonderful forum I have gone from a starting FICO of low 600 to a TU score of 746 amd EX score of 749 Smiley Very Happy  EQ is still a nightmare of 687 but still better than what I was at. 

So last week I finally got in with Amex (so excited) Delta gold my SL is only $1k but that ok happy to get my feet in.  I was told to app for my second Amex in January need advise which card to apply for and when.  I was considering the PRG, Everyday prefered or the BCP.  I already have a Sams club MC and Sallie Mae.  I would also like to qualify for the 61 day 3X increase but I read if I apply for a second card the 61 day starts again from the last application (please confirm).

I went pretty crazy with the applying for credit and have racked up a crazy amount of inquaires (26 in TU and 32 in EX Smiley Embarassed) and credit cards.  The second Amex is pretty much my last application unless something crazy (diners club) comes available in 2015.  I think I read the second Amex card would be a soft pull and only a hard pull if I get approved (please confirm).

So based upon the above do you think I can get another Amex in January and which card should I apply for?  I appreciate any advise Smiley Happy

I'm not really sure that its great advice to be applying for an amex next month. With all those inqs and the fact you just got a new amex card with a low credit line I'd be concerned about potential adverse action for agressive credit seeking. You just literally got in with them and barely at that. To go back and try for more seems dangerous. I agree that normally Jan is the best time to apply for amex cards (if you have one already), but in your case I would strongly discourage it. You need to garden and let these inqs age. Do your SP 3x CLI with amex. I also do not see that a PRG card would necessarily be a great fit for you since you are already in with amex (there may be other reasons it works for you but its a charge card not revolver). Typically its a SP on app and HP on approval, but nothing is guaranteed. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

I'm not really sure that its great advice to be applying for an amex next month. With all those inqs and the fact you just got a new amex card with a low credit line I'd be concerned about potential adverse action for agressive credit seeking. You just literally got in with them and barely at that. To go back and try for more seems dangerous. I agree that normally Jan is the best time to apply for amex cards (if you have one already), but in your case I would strongly discourage it. You need to garden and let these inqs age. Do your SP 3x CLI with amex. I also do not see that a PRG card would necessarily be a great fit for you since you are already in with amex (there may be other reasons it works for you but its a charge card not revolver). Typically its a SP on app and HP on approval, but nothing is guaranteed. 

I fully agree. You have WAYYYY too many inquiries (I should talk, right? Smiley Tongue )

Cool it for a year or more then see how you do.

Message 3 of 22
Guinness
Contributor

Thanks for the advise. Smiley Happy  I had a feeling that was what would be advised.  Oh well ...at least I got in and my MSD date will be in  2014.  Never thought I could become addicted to applying for credit Smiley Frustrated  Need to go find a corner and cold turkey for at least a year Woman Sad

Message 4 of 22
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

January is a good month for a subsequent Amex card but that does not need to be 2015. I would recommend to wait until 2016 and garden your cards and age off your inquiries.  Go for the 3 x CLI at the 61day mark but do not app for any new cards would  be my recommendation.

Message 5 of 22
Guinness
Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

January is a good month for a subsequent Amex card but that does not need to be 2015. I would recommend to wait until 2016 and garden your cards and age off your inquiries.  Go for the 3 x CLI at the 61day mark but do not app for any new cards would  be my recommendation.

That is awsome!  Thank you for the heads up on applying in 2016 and I would still get Jan 2014 as my MSD so excited.  Makes the coming months a little bit easier to face knowing there is a reward for wait.  Hopefully Amex will grant me a decent sL in 2016 as an established member Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 22
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Guinness wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

That is awsome!  Thank you for the heads up on applying in 2016 and I would still get Jan 2014 as my MSD so excited.  Makes the coming months a little bit easier to face knowing there is a reward for wait.  Hopefully Amex will grant me a decent sL in 2016 as an established member Smiley Very Happy

Advice to wait is spot on  here, but we can play pretend for an second and pretend its end of 2015 now. As far as which card to get depends on how much travel you plan on doing or if you want pure cashback. Since all three cards have bonus categories for gas and groceries. you need to decide if you will be using card to purchase airfare, hotels, train fare etc. If you think an lot of spending will be in that category i would go for PRG , I would preferably wait for 50k offer. Now if you just want to accumulate MR points but don't travel as much EDP or ED is an good option, especially if you can meet 20 or 30 swipes an month. Lastly BCP or BCE is only good if you want an cash back option, because MR to statement credit or gift cards is an horrendous use of MR, you get .5% value or there abouts. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 22
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Advice to wait is spot on  here, but we can play pretend for an second and pretend its end of 2015 now. As far as which card to get depends on how much travel you plan on doing or if you want pure cashback. Since all three cards have bonus categories for gas and groceries. you need to decide if you will be using card to purchase airfare, hotels, train fare etc. If you think an lot of spending will be in that category i would go for PRG , I would preferably wait for 50k offer. Now if you just want to accumulate MR points but don't travel as much EDP or ED is an good option, especially if you can meet 20 or 30 swipes an month. Lastly BCP or BCE is only good if you want an cash back option, because MR to statement credit or gift cards is an horrendous use of MR, you get .5% value or there abouts. 

....and I was about to say that the big advantage of waiting will give you time to think over which other Amex makes most sense for your spending pattern Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 22
Guinness
Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Thank you for the great advise!  I do have travel cards Arrival+ and Venture so I think I am leaning towards the EDP Smiley Happy  2015 is going to drag so slow.  Might have to stop logging into the forum so I wont get tempted from other peoples approvals

Message 9 of 22
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Guinness wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Thank you for the great advise!  I do have travel cards Arrival+ and Venture so I think I am leaning towards the EDP Smiley Happy  2015 is going to drag so slow.  Might have to stop logging into the forum so I wont get tempted from other peoples approvals

Nice i am just curious why you have both venture and arrival + aren't they pretty similar cards? EDP is an nice card to have , i am using it almost primarily for most of my purchases. CSP is the other card i use just for dining. I like having CSP and to lesser extent ink plus for the no FTF for the times i do travel outside US. The one thing about amex cards that are an slight annoyance is that almost all their cards have FTF. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.