Did you mean: 

Need advise for trip to Europe

tag
dilettante
Established Contributor

Re: Need advise for trip to Europe

@Guinness wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

I will be going to Europe, too.  I don't have Venture but If this will help you any, here is how I plan on using my arsenal of travel cc's:

The Prestige, I used to pay to for airline taxes (got my and companions' tickets with points), booked a suite at Waldorf using 4th night free benefit and for AirBnB booking. So you might want to look at using Prestige for hotel stays if you're planning on at least 4 days in one hotel.  The other room at same hotel for my guests, I am using the Amex Plat's FHR because Prestige 4th night will only work for one room per booking (would've used the Prestige for that room as well since it is 3X points for hotel but wanted guests to have FHR benefits).

Using my Citi Premier for 3X dining, limo service, taxis.

Barclay Arrival+ for subway kiosks.  

Diner's for grocery and drug stores.

Shopping goes on my Palladium or Amex Plat card for purchase protection (theft).

Airline incidental card - Ritz, just in case the airline offers paid bump to First from BusinessSmiley Happy

Great info! Smiley Happy  Thank you so much this is exactly the type of advise I was looking for.  I totally forgot about the 4th night free benefits of the Prestige Smiley Surprised will defiently take advatage of that! .   Do you think it would be beneficial for me to apply for the Citi Premier or the Amex Plat with my line of up of travel cards? We will be in Europe for 2 weeks so I am not worried about the annual fees.

Unfortunately, the 3X dining is only for those who applied before April 19 when they changed the bonus structure so I would only apply if you want the sign up bonus points and need the broader travel category (lots of taxis, train tickets) vs. Prestige.  

Amex Plat, I would only get if you have a great sign up offer (100K) and need FHR benefits. Otherwise, it's not the best for points since no bonus spend categories. IMO, I'd just stick with the PRG.

I think you have a good collection of travel cards so IMO, you don't really need more unless you have a lot of spend coming up before your trip that you want to maximize for sign up bonuses.

Message 11 of 19
Guinness
Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

I will be going to Europe, too.  I don't have Venture but If this will help you any, here is how I plan on using my arsenal of travel cc's:

The Prestige, I used to pay to for airline taxes (got my and companions' tickets with points), booked a suite at Waldorf using 4th night free benefit and for AirBnB booking. So you might want to look at using Prestige for hotel stays if you're planning on at least 4 days in one hotel.  The other room at same hotel for my guests, I am using the Amex Plat's FHR because Prestige 4th night will only work for one room per booking (would've used the Prestige for that room as well since it is 3X points for hotel but wanted guests to have FHR benefits).

Shopping goes on my Palladium or Amex Plat card for purchase protection (theft).

Airline incidental card - Ritz, just in case the airline offers paid bump to First from BusinessSmiley Happy

Great info! Smiley Happy  Thank you so much this is exactly the type of advise I was looking for.  I totally forgot about the 4th night free benefits of the Prestige Smiley Surprised will defiently take advatage of that! .   Do you think it would be beneficial for me to apply for the Citi Premier or the Amex Plat with my line of up of travel cards? We will be in Europe for 2 weeks so I am not worried about the annual fees.

Unfortunately, the 3X dining is only for those who applied before April 19 when they changed the bonus structure so I would only apply if you want the sign up bonus points and need the broader travel category (lots of taxis, train tickets) vs. Prestige.  

Amex Plat, I would only get if you have a great sign up offer (100K) and need FHR benefits. Otherwise, it's not the best for points since no bonus spend categories. IMO, I'd just stick with the PRG.

I think you have a good collection of travel cards so IMO, you don't really need more unless you have a lot of spend coming up before your trip that you want to maximize for sign up bonuses.

Thank you for all the info!  Will stick with what I have Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 19
Guinness
Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

I don't think they'll be necessary. But remember to use 4th night free you need to call up the concierge and then wait for a quote on a hotel back. Gotta get it done early because it might take a while. 

Thanks jsucool76 did not know that.   I really appreciate everyones great advise and reminders.  Love this forum Heart

Message 13 of 19
dilettante
Established Contributor

@Guinness wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

I don't think they'll be necessary. But remember to use 4th night free you need to call up the concierge and then wait for a quote on a hotel back. Gotta get it done early because it might take a while. 

Thanks jsucool76 did not know that.   I really appreciate everyones great advise and reminders.  Love this forum Heart

Just one more tip on dealing with 4th night free benefit, if after your booking, you find the prices have gone down and the room type is still available, you can call back and rebook at lower cost (the travel agent reminded me of that when I made my bookings).  

Also, it's good to do some pricing before you speak to the travel agent on the conference call because I've found that some CWT agents will be really good and do things like call the hotel directly for special deals if you've done your homework beforehand and know the deals out there.  

I've had good experiences using their concierge services for hotel bookings and though it does take some back and forth, I usually get reponses back in less than 24 hours (on average 6 hours) and have gotten some great deals that I didn't see online.

Message 14 of 19
Guinness
Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

Just one more tip on dealing with 4th night free benefit, if after your booking, you find the prices have gone down and the room type is still available, you can call back and rebook at lower cost (the travel agent reminded me of that when I made my bookings).  

Also, it's good to do some pricing before you speak to the travel agent on the conference call because I've found that some CWT agents will be really good and do things like call the hotel directly for special deals if you've done your homework beforehand and know the deals out there.  

I've had good experiences using their concierge services for hotel bookings and though it does take some back and forth, I usually get reponses back in less than 24 hours (on average 6 hours) and have gotten some great deals that I didn't see online.

thank you so much dilettante for the hints and advise.  I just got the notice from fed ex my card will be delivered today.  When booking my airline tickets should I go through CWT or buy the best price available through travel sites or directly from airlines?  Thanks again!

Message 15 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Guinness wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

thank you so much dilettante for the hints and advise.  I just got the notice from fed ex my card will be delivered today.  When booking my airline tickets should I go through CWT or buy the best price available through travel sites or directly from airlines?  Thanks again!

To take advantage of the $250 airline credit you don't NEED to go through CWT, and you can usually find good deals yourself, but it doesn't hurt to look around. Most of your flights (even if booked on american) are probably gonna end up being BA flights, so it might not hurt to look at the BA website too to see if there is any price difference. 

Message 16 of 19
dilettante
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Guinness wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

To take advantage of the $250 airline credit you don't NEED to go through CWT, and you can usually find good deals yourself, but it doesn't hurt to look around. Most of your flights (even if booked on american) are probably gonna end up being BA flights, so it might not hurt to look at the BA website too to see if there is any price difference. 

I haven't booked any airline tickets with Prestige, just transferred the points to airlines for award bookings and charged air fee's to Prestige, so don't have any experience.  But that brings up a good question, for me anyway.  Does booking with discount sites rather than directly through airline get coded as charge from airline?  I always book with airlines directly or with Amex so don't have experience.  Asking because Prestige automatically credits any charge that is coded from airlines.

Message 17 of 19
elim
Senior Contributor

50k MR's will get you both round trip Boston to Dublin on Aer Lingus as it's just under 3,000 miles each way. (DGF and I are going for 10 days next month). Transfer to Avios and call and book. (check on availability of rewards seats on your dates before you transfer).

for east coast we are using Marriott to stay 5 nights at Powerscourt  (used to be Ritz).

for west coast using Venture to stay 2 nights at Ashford Castle

then a few BnB's in small towns with the locals.

hope you have a great trip.     :]

Message 18 of 19
Guinness
Contributor

@elim wrote:

50k MR's will get you both round trip Boston to Dublin on Aer Lingus as it's just under 3,000 miles each way. (DGF and I are going for 10 days next month). Transfer to Avios and call and book. (check on availability of rewards seats on your dates before you transfer).

for east coast we are using Marriott to stay 5 nights at Powerscourt  (used to be Ritz).

for west coast using Venture to stay 2 nights at Ashford Castle

then a few BnB's in small towns with the locals.

hope you have a great trip.     :]

OMG the hotels are gorgeous!  Thank you Elim!  This is going to be an amazing trip thanks to Myfico!  The free airfair via Boston is something I need to look into using  MR credits Smiley Happy  Hope you and your wife have an amazing vacation!!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.