Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need credit card recommendations...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need credit card recommendations...

I've got Cap1, HSBC and Household Bank cards. (opened between 9/07 and 4/08) No store cards. Got a Shell card a couple months ago that I haven't used yet. (There's only one anywhere near here, but I wanted a gas card and BP asks on the app if you've had a BK, plus I included them.) Last inquiry 7/28 for Shell.

2 Chrysler car accts in good standing, over 2 years old.

Background: BK7 discharged 3/07. Old tax liens released 11/08. Scores in mid-to-high 600s.

I'd like to try for a Kohl's card, and a better bank card, but don't know where best to look for the bank card. (Hooter's puts a bad taste in my mouth, sorry.) Any recommendations?

I've seen some praise for Pen Fed. Do they use Chex? (I've got about 9 months before I'm off their list.) Also considering an online app for Barnes & Noble. Which would be better to try in my situation?

I'd like the Kohl's because I shop there and know they give occasional cardholder discounts. I don't shop at Target. I guess a Macy's or Dillard's would be okay, but my primary objective right now would be to a) get a better MC/V and b) increase my overall credit limit to reduce utilization.

The Shell pull is the only one in the last year, so I could handle a few hard pulls, especially if they were with different CRAs, but don't want to get crazy with it. (Maybe after I see what happens with MC/V I should try a jewelers, just for the CL?)

Message Edited by deemac on 10-10-2009 12:13 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need credit card recommendations...

?
Message 2 of 6
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I don't think you are a PenFed candidate at the present time. I would wait until you are out of ChexSystems and then try some well selected CU's. I would also try to get the scores over 700. It might help avoid some recon's and MR's, which you have to be fully prepared for.
Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 10-10-2009 08:46 PM
Message 3 of 6
wmarat
Valued Contributor

1. I do not remember exactly, but I think that PenFed did not use Chex when I joined. You have very slim chances to get PenFed's credit card with 2007 BK.

2. Kohl's card is serviced by Chase. I am  personally unhappy with Chase. Do u shop in Nordstrom? Might be better choice than Chase.

3. Barn and Noobles MC is serviced by Barclay. Barclay is as subprime as any of your other cards.

4. Any store card gives discounts. I am happy camper with Macy's, but keep in mind you start with Macy's with really low CL. If u decide to apply for Macy's, do that in store.

5. Have u researched local CU options?

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There aren't really any credit unions all that close to me and I think at least some of the ones a bit further away may use Chex. No Nordstrom. Not sure where I stand with GEMB. (I had a JCPenney's charge off way back when and settled it, and had a few hundred on Dillards IIB.) I guess Macy's is a possibility - we do have those. I wouldn't want to use the Kohl's all that much. Just want the discounts and the CL. Kohl's is close, not in a mall, and I just seem to find things there. I can't remember the last time I was in Macy's, but I do go there for Christmas shopping once in a blue moon.
Message 5 of 6
wmarat
Valued Contributor

GEMB is waste of time. Macy's is not such a bad choice. Call PenFed and ask about their secure card qualification.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.