10-09-2009 07:42 PM - edited 10-10-2009 12:13 PM
I've got Cap1, HSBC and Household Bank cards. (opened between 9/07 and 4/08) No store cards. Got a Shell card a couple months ago that I haven't used yet. (There's only one anywhere near here, but I wanted a gas card and BP asks on the app if you've had a BK, plus I included them.) Last inquiry 7/28 for Shell.
2 Chrysler car accts in good standing, over 2 years old.
Background: BK7 discharged 3/07. Old tax liens released 11/08. Scores in mid-to-high 600s.
I'd like to try for a Kohl's card, and a better bank card, but don't know where best to look for the bank card. (Hooter's puts a bad taste in my mouth, sorry.) Any recommendations?
I've seen some praise for Pen Fed. Do they use Chex? (I've got about 9 months before I'm off their list.) Also considering an online app for Barnes & Noble. Which would be better to try in my situation?
I'd like the Kohl's because I shop there and know they give occasional cardholder discounts. I don't shop at Target. I guess a Macy's or Dillard's would be okay, but my primary objective right now would be to a) get a better MC/V and b) increase my overall credit limit to reduce utilization.
The Shell pull is the only one in the last year, so I could handle a few hard pulls, especially if they were with different CRAs, but don't want to get crazy with it. (Maybe after I see what happens with MC/V I should try a jewelers, just for the CL?)
10-10-2009 05:36 PM - edited 10-10-2009 05:46 PM
10-10-2009 05:42 PM
1. I do not remember exactly, but I think that PenFed did not use Chex when I joined. You have very slim chances to get PenFed's credit card with 2007 BK.
2. Kohl's card is serviced by Chase. I am personally unhappy with Chase. Do u shop in Nordstrom? Might be better choice than Chase.
3. Barn and Noobles MC is serviced by Barclay. Barclay is as subprime as any of your other cards.
4. Any store card gives discounts. I am happy camper with Macy's, but keep in mind you start with Macy's with really low CL. If u decide to apply for Macy's, do that in store.
5. Have u researched local CU options?
10-10-2009 06:42 PM
myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.>> About myFICO