10-09-2009 07:42 PM - edited 10-10-2009 12:13 PM
I've got Cap1, HSBC and Household Bank cards. (opened between 9/07 and 4/08) No store cards. Got a Shell card a couple months ago that I haven't used yet. (There's only one anywhere near here, but I wanted a gas card and BP asks on the app if you've had a BK, plus I included them.) Last inquiry 7/28 for Shell.
2 Chrysler car accts in good standing, over 2 years old.
Background: BK7 discharged 3/07. Old tax liens released 11/08. Scores in mid-to-high 600s.
I'd like to try for a Kohl's card, and a better bank card, but don't know where best to look for the bank card. (Hooter's puts a bad taste in my mouth, sorry.) Any recommendations?
I've seen some praise for Pen Fed. Do they use Chex? (I've got about 9 months before I'm off their list.) Also considering an online app for Barnes & Noble. Which would be better to try in my situation?
I'd like the Kohl's because I shop there and know they give occasional cardholder discounts. I don't shop at Target. I guess a Macy's or Dillard's would be okay, but my primary objective right now would be to a) get a better MC/V and b) increase my overall credit limit to reduce utilization.
The Shell pull is the only one in the last year, so I could handle a few hard pulls, especially if they were with different CRAs, but don't want to get crazy with it. (Maybe after I see what happens with MC/V I should try a jewelers, just for the CL?)
10-10-2009 05:36 PM - edited 10-10-2009 05:46 PM
10-10-2009 05:42 PM
1. I do not remember exactly, but I think that PenFed did not use Chex when I joined. You have very slim chances to get PenFed's credit card with 2007 BK.
2. Kohl's card is serviced by Chase. I am personally unhappy with Chase. Do u shop in Nordstrom? Might be better choice than Chase.
3. Barn and Noobles MC is serviced by Barclay. Barclay is as subprime as any of your other cards.
4. Any store card gives discounts. I am happy camper with Macy's, but keep in mind you start with Macy's with really low CL. If u decide to apply for Macy's, do that in store.
5. Have u researched local CU options?
10-10-2009 06:42 PM
Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more
FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.