Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help and info on credit card consolidation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help and info on credit card consolidation

Hi guys, it's my first time using this forum and I wanted to ask for advice about debt. I know that many people have learned to be frugal after getting yourself in a tight spot and working towards becoming debt free. I wanted to ask what you think about possibly taking out a large personal loan like something I could find online in order to pay off $10,000 of high interest credit card debt (16%). The APR's with a new loan would be less, and I would have a longer time to pay it off (2-3 Years) but I am definitely asking for guidance.

Any mathematicians here? lol, Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help and info on debt consolidation

Hi there OP and welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

I have created your own thread for you in our CC forum to get you the answers that you are seeking. I have made a title for the thread which you can edit if you wish by using the pull down menu in the post options box (upper right corner of the post) and selecting edit post. I have left the body of your post the same.

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need help and info on credit card consolidation

Sofi.com was a little slow to go through the approval process but by far approved the most and lowest interest for my partner.

loandepot

a few other new ones have popped up that have been posted on the boards lately that you can do a search at the top to find.

all of these you can check for amount and rate without a credit pull... then most will do a HP if you select an amount and term and go to fully apply.

Many allow you to instantly upload documents if you can scan them in, some you can take pictures on your mobile phone and email them in... it's quick and easy.

most payments are auto deducted from the checking account you input when applying, it can be changed later if you need to bu that's where the money will be deposited also.

Message 3 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, can you list out the cards that you currently have, what their credit limits are and the balance on each? Depending on which cards you have, there may be ways to work balance transfers to lower rates.

16%, while not zero, isn't the worst APR to be paying, so you have that going for you.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 8
creditguy
Valued Contributor

The only advice I can give is, if you do decide to take out a personal loan to pay down credit card debt, is to obviously make sure the apr is lower than your credit cards. The other advice is make sure you are disciplined enough not to use your cards after you pay them off with a loan, at least while your paying on that loan. Many folks have made the mistake of paying off cards and falling back into debt, but this time they have a loan payment on top of CC payments. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Message 5 of 8
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
The only advice I can give is, if you do decide to take out a personal loan to pay down credit card debt, is to obviously make sure the apr is lower than your credit cards. The other advice is make sure you are disciplined enough not to use your cards after you pay them off with a loan, at least while your paying on that loan. Many folks have made the mistake of paying off cards and falling back into debt, but this time they have a loan payment on top of CC payments. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

+1...cut the cards up until you pay off the loan if you take that route. It's a slippery slope so you will need descipline. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

+1

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tntexans72 wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

+1...cut the cards up until you pay off the loan if you take that route. It's a slippery slope so you will need descipline. 

+2

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.