cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help choosing my next move - what card(s)?

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Need help choosing my next move - what card(s)?

Help me choose my next card, please!

I am SO torn. I've got to be careful as I am very close to the 5/24 limit for Chase, so if I am going to app for a Chase card that will need to be my next one. We don't travel a ton, but we do fly (typically Delta or United work best route and fare-wise) and spend a few nights in hotels each year - some more than others. When we do stay places, we've tended toward Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, etc. So not fancy digs, although I wouldn't scoff at a free night in nicer lodging annually.

We are planning a family trip to the Canadian Rockies, and so I've pondered the Fairmont card to use the free nights (bonus offer) and possibly suite upgrade at Chateau Lake Louise. We also will be flying west, so airfare bonus/miles is certainly in consideration as well. "Regular" (ie: chains with more location choices) hotel cards that would be useful long-term would be helpful - the Fairmont would likely not be useful in the long term, but it is very tempting for the trip we are currently planning.

Right now I have the following:

AmEx BCP

AmEx Delta Gold

Barclay Arrival+

Barclay Sallie Mae

Chase Disney

CSP

Citi DC

Target (5% off there is nice, don't judge me Smiley Very Happy)

I am currently using SM for grocery spend up to the limit each month, then BCP until I hit that annual limit as well. SM for gas, CSP for dining, Arrival+ for everyday spend. I plan on taking the Delta Skymiles to Platinum later this year to get the companion certificate but want to time the upgrade for when it makes the most sense for purchasing tickets. I downgraded because the timing was terrible - the companion cert came available in April and we always use it for summer travel. The timing was too tight an availability was often terrible. The latest CSR I spoke with said the upgrade date would be our new anniversary date (I need to confirm as I've been told different things by different reps) so I am hoping to upgrade come September. That way we could use it for holiday travel or summer (summer being far more likely), whichever makes the most sense in a given year.

Anyone have suggestions or an opinion on what I should shoot for next? As long as required spend for bonus doesn't exceed $4k-$5k in three months, I'm good with it. I'd need to switch the majority of my spend over, but it is easily do-able. If I get desperate I can just pay my homeowners and auto insurance up front for the year/six months. That ought to help Smiley Wink Thank you for any thoughts and recommendations.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
thummel
Established Contributor

Re: Need help choosing my next move - what card(s)?

Seems like you have a pretty good lineup right now to be honest. Have you though about the United card from Chase possibly?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thummel wrote:
Seems like you have a pretty good lineup right now to be honest. Have you though about the United card from Chase possibly?

That is my suggestion too. I believe someone said there was a targeted 70k signup offer (??) so check around for best offers before jumping in with any card you decide on.

Message 3 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

How many UR points do you currently have this may help with flights w/o a new card since United is a Chase partner?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or a Chase Marriott or IHG? I think they are better than the Fairmont card. With the Fairmont you need to spend $12k per year to get a free stay.

Pretty sure the Marriott and IHG you get a anniversary stay per year w/ no minimum spend? 

Message 5 of 10
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

myjourney, unfortunately I was a newbie with this whole UR thing and spent them unwisely. I did use the vast majority of them, but definitely not in the best way possible redemption-wise (although, to be fair, it was to book last-minute air travel for my SO to visit a gravely ill family member so it was completely worth it).

Message 6 of 10
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Or a Chase Marriott or IHG? I think they are better than the Fairmont card. With the Fairmont you need to spend $12k per year to get a free stay.

Pretty sure the Marriott and IHG you get a anniversary stay per year w/ no minimum spend? 

I was actually thinking IHG as we tend to stay at hotels in that family - or at least we could easily choose them - more frequently than Marriot. The Fairmont card, in all honesty, would be one to just take advantage of for the intro bonus. Long-term I don't see a whole lot of value in that card. We'd be giving up at least $240 redeemable elsewhere by putting $12k on that card, plus we'd be out the annual fee. While we *could* make this financially attractive, it would be going well outside our normal travel range. Nice for a treat, but not at all what I'm really looking to do with a card, to be frank.

Message 7 of 10
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@thummel wrote:

I had looked at that card and thought it might be a good fit too. That and the IHG were the first two that came to mind when I read up on the various cards and offers that were out there that looked attractive.

FWIW, I agree I really don't need another card, but the siren song of the sign-up bonus is luring me in.

Edited to add: sorry for the sequential replies. I really need to master the art of multiple quotes in the same post. Ugh.

Message 8 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

myjourney, unfortunately I was a newbie with this whole UR thing and spent them unwisely. I did use the vast majority of them, but definitely not in the best way possible redemption-wise (although, to be fair, it was to book last-minute air travel for my SO to visit a gravely ill family member so it was completely worth it).

Well worth the points IMHO 

I did a quick search and nice choice for a stay I might add 

Also it seems all the brand name hotels are 2.5 hours away in the Calgary area so that may be your best choice for the stay (new card) 

Edit to add 

Each Certificate entitles you to a single/double occupancy Fairmont Standard Guest Room (two adults; excludes Deluxe, Signature, Junior Suites, Suites, Fairmont Gold Room, Fairmont Gold Junior Suites, and Fairmont Gold Suites) at any Fairmont hotel or resort worldwide. Specific rooms are subject to availability; blackout dates and limited access may apply.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Hey, worst case, if you find these cards don't work for you, you csn hold off and look elsewhere. I think you're making the right move by weighimg out to get the most value for both short and long term.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.