cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help determining what hotel card suits us best...

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

Re: Need help determining what hotel card suits us best...

I didn't realize what a deal that is with Marriott on Cat 1 or 2 stays - either 5 or 6 nights from the bonus. What about Ritz? If you get the 140k bonus, can you use those points at Marriott, which would be 18 free nights at Cat 1?

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Effectively... 210K pts adds up.
Message 12 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@js0319 wrote:

We generally stay at La Quinta because of our corporate discount, book through the Chase UR site, and collect points for our stay and 3X points for booking through UR. 

What do you consider deficient with your UR cards for hotel stays?  A cobranded card generally doesn't make much sense unless you're going to use the brand frequently.

@js0319 wrote:

We have been loyal to La Quinta for the past 3-4 years, but we're not interested in getting the FNB of Omaha La Quinta Visa.

Why not (I'm not familiar with the card)?  Help us understand your reasoning.  If you don't want a card cobranded with chain your frequently stay at then a more general card such as your UR cards tends to make more sense.

@js0319 wrote:
I didn't realize what a deal that is with Marriott on Cat 1 or 2 stays - either 5 or 6 nights from the bonus. What about Ritz? If you get the 140k bonus, can you use those points at Marriott, which would be 18 free nights at Cat 1?

Marriott and RC points can be used with either chain.  Details are on the respective sites and such research should be included in your due diligence.

Message 13 of 16
js0319
Established Contributor

We are looking to get away from La Quinta because we only build loyalty points through bookings, and I'm not interest in a narrowly focus card like FNB La Quinta. I would like to switch my loyalty to another company that also offers a card with good rewards and a good points program when you stay at the property.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

Message 14 of 16
dilettante
Established Contributor

@js0319 wrote:

With the Ritz 140k sign up bonus, you could get even more nights if your stays are 5 nights or longer.  When redeeming points for 5 consequtive nights, you get the 5th night "free".  So for category 1, you can stay 15 nights for 90k points (don't know if you were planning to stay in one place for that long, though).

The Ritz sign up right now is the best deal out there for hotel cards, IMO, even with the hefty fee.  The complimentary Gold status will get you free breakfast and lounge access at most Marriott's, $300 airline reimbursement comes in handy for baggage fee's and food/drinks in flight if traveling economy, etc. (as well as the GC trick that some have been having fun with).

Some good info out there that compares some of the hotel loyalty programs:

http://www.smartertravel.com/photo-galleries/editorial/top-hotel-loyalty-programs.html?id=772&all=1

http://travel.usnews.com/Rankings/Travel-Rewards/hotel-rewards/

Message 15 of 16
js0319
Established Contributor

I applied and was approved for $21k. Wasn't expecting that - what a nice surprise.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.