Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help fixing and getting credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help fixing and getting credit

Hello I am a new My Fico member as of last week, I have been in the U.S. Army for 13 years, My wife and I had to Declare Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in OCT 2004, My Credit it starting to be repaired very slowley my scores are Transunion 664, Equifax 688 and Experian 716 but I continue to get turned down for a credit card I have only had one inquire in the last 12 months which was yesterday and turned down again through my credit union USAA I do not know what to do or who to apply with to get us back on track.  Also my wife has not had any credit history since 2005 on an autoloan which is paid off and she also cannot recieve credit anywhere to rebuild can you help us out.

V/R

SSG Naccarato 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help fixing and getting credit

Where did you get your scores from? As of last February, it is impossible to pull your EX FICO score. If you got your EX score from the same source as your TU and EQ scores (other than from a lender), then you don't have any FICO scores. If this is the case, you may want to pull your two FICO scores from this website. The advantage is not only do you get to see your two FICO scores, but within the reports, it'll tell you what is hurting your score and what is helping your score. You can use that info to springboard into improving your scores and credit.

Do you have any open CCs reporting? If not, getting that first one is tough. Would you be open to getting a secured CC from somewhere?

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your service!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick response, I bought the Suze Orman FICO Kit and that is where I recieved my TU and EQ FICO Scores and then I went to annual credit report and got EX but I figured the EX was wrong it just didnt seem right, and to answer your second question my wife and I do not have any credit cards and we are debt free except for one auto loan, and getting our first CC is seeming to be tough basically what is they best place to get one and is getting a secured CC a good way to go. I just need to start somewhere that will be a positive gain in the future do you have any suggestions.

V/R

SSG Naccarato

Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You'd probably have to go the secured route from somewhere. Good news is that once that reports to all 3, then you'd see a large spike in FICO scores.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my brother in law apply for a cap one card last week - he had no open CCs, a CH7 in July of 2007 and has car payments that have been on time since then.  He got approved for the card but only a $300 limit but he does seem to be in credit steps so I have told him to use it and PIF each month for the next 6 months and we'll see where his score goes from there.  In addition he got the 99/500 BOA secured card which we shall do the same thing on
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i agree with susyquk...I have foreclosure thats a year old and Cap 1 gave me a cc for 300.00, no interest until nov., if i pay on time and keep under the balance for the first three months the limit will go up.  Also i put my sister on with me so she can gain some credit too.  Dont bother with Discover they wont help u with a FC or BK.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your comment back I did the Capital One CC this morning while i sit in Iraq and they said they would mail out her answer in 7 to 10 days so I hope that is good and not bad I didnt get the 60 Second confirmation so who knows so I think I am going to try and get her a Orchard Secured card do you think thats good ? we jsut need to start my sife with something we have been using my Credit for the past 10 years and for the most part she has been a stay at home mom but now the kids are all in school and we just never did anything in her name our bad . but anyway thank you for your support and help
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd say a secured Cap One or Orchard would do the trick. Just get one, and then wait for maybe 6 months' worth of clean history to report. By then, your scores should have increased with the addition of revolving (CC) credit to your mix, plus new clean history, and others might be more willing to take a chance on you.

But again, just one. There's no point in having a fistful of rebuilder cards that won't grown with you. Let one do the work for you, and then move on to better stuff.

You might call USAA back and ask how long they want to see you using a CC responsibly before they'll give you a card. Might be 6 months, might be 12 months, might be longer. Or they might just want you farther out from the BK.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

USAA is harder to get with a BK wait until that falls off then reapply. Since your Military I'd go with NFCU try the unsecured if thats a nogo then go with the secured NFCU they are awesome and you won't waste your inq being turned down.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.