Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help maximizing my MR points for domestic flights

tag
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Need help maximizing my MR points for domestic flights

So me and my friend is flying to Chicago this spring break (Yeah I know it's "spring break" and Chicago is freezing right now lol) around March 26 or later and will be returning to LAX/SNA/LGB 4 days later. How can I maximize redeeming my MR points? I'm new to this whole flying with points thing..

Thanks!

BTW, I don't have the points yet, but I'm almost done with the spending requirement; I'm thinking of calling amex to advance at least half of the points (50k)

EDIT: What I'm thinking is transferring my MR points to Elevate points even though it's 2:1 (Elevate points valued at 0.022?) Should I? Or is there a much better deal out there?

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help maximizing my MR points for domestic flights

check jetblue's and virgin america's point rates. even though the point conversion rate with jetblue is only 5 to 4, they ar eusually still the better deal. virgin america's destination list is small, but their tickets are also usually pretty low on point costs 

Message 2 of 6
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

check jetblue's and virgin america's point rates. even though the point conversion rate with jetblue is only 5 to 4, they ar eusually still the better deal. virgin america's destination list is small, but their tickets are also usually pretty low on point costs 

Unfortunately, JetBlue doesn't fly from LAX/LGB to Chicago..

Message 3 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

BA Avios can be very good for short-haul domestic flights (for use on American)   However, if you are going at a busy time, award seats might be harder to find

(And no idea if AA flies that route!)

Message 4 of 6
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

BA Avios can be very good for short-haul domestic flights (for use on American)   However, if you are going at a busy time, award seats might be harder to find

i believe lax-ord they have non stop on AA or us airways. Finding availibility may be an issue, btw its 20k RT econ from lax to chicago. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 6
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Luckily, they have that route! Smiley Very Happy

EDIT: Damn, 40k Avios points roundtrip for 2! That's a deal! Am I doing it wrong? lol

Now how do I tell amex I need my points in advance? Screenshot (48).png

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.