Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on card decision

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help on card decision

@chunders wrote:

Thanks for the feedback> Chase Sapphire Pref at $13,500 limit.

I could pay off the card but I want to hang on to the cash for now.

What is wrong with my utilization for united explorer? I put about $1000-$2000 a month on CC

Southwest... ick haha.

You'll get a score boost by allowing the statement to cut with under 10% utilization, because of the way that FICO scores your credit card usage.  Higher than 9% decreases your score.  To make the most out of your app, pay the balance down to $1300 or at most $3900

Chase will give you a higher starting limit on United Explorer with a lower balance on the CSP

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 18
chunders

once you pay that balance down you still must wait for the score to take place 30-60 days no?

Message 12 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

If you spend more than 30k in a year, look at the Premeir Rewards Gold by Amex.

They have some good sign on bonuses going on.  NPSL, so your charges do not count against your total Utilization... 

Also, you get a 15k bonus for spending over 30k in the year. airfare gets you 4x points when booked on Amex travel. gas and groceries are 2x.  Hotels and rental cars yeild 2x points when booked on Amex travel.

FICO 9:

Message 13 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

The score will be updated shortly after your statement cuts.. that's why its important to pay down balances before the statement cuts.

My discover BT offers are usually like 2.9% for 18 months with a 0% BT fee...   or 12 months at 0% with a 3% BT fee. I can choose between the two offers..  err maybe mine are different due to being a member since 1999 with Discover

FICO 9:

Message 14 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® Card

Key Features
  • Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
  • Earn 1 point on all other purchases
  • 20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account – that’s worth $200 toward your next round-trip airline ticket
  • No annual fee
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • 0% APR promotional balance transfer rate for 18 months on transfers made between January 1, 2013 and March 31, 2013.  After March 31, 2013, the APR for new balance transfers will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate, and is currently 9.99%. A balance transfer fee of 3% (Min. - $10, Max. - $250) per transaction applies. This transaction is subject to credit approval.
FICO 9:

Message 15 of 18
distantarray
Established Contributor

@chunders wrote:

That's insane! haha so where to sign up for mileage dining? United.com http://mpdining.rewardsnetwork.com/bonus.htm?id=U302&detail=y&cm_mmc=UA-_-Web-_-external-_-OTHER-noc... 

I just called discover, they said 7.99% for a year. Psh no thanks.    Chase UR points > Cash back

That united chase car dis looking even better! Or amex gold for a year. hmm. 50k bonus sign up Depends how much your going to fly, Amex Gold has 3x airfare, but Mileage plus has 2x. Amex is more flexible than United miles, but also Amex MR points are worth less than UR points by almost anyone's standards in the credit world. Gold has 15k bonus after 30k spending. But Mileage Plus has 10k bonus after 25k spending which is comparable. But remember United gives you priority boarding, free bag, free car insurance for rentals, and a quite a bit of benefits. It all depends on how much you really plan to travel. But the Mileage plus card cause its' a Visa is MUCH easier to rack up points. and meet the 25k spending requirement for 10,000 bonus points. How?  

Bigcrumbs portal to buy Amex gift cards = 1.4% cash rebate + williams paid to pay rent/mortgage at 2.9% cost. So your averaging 1.5 cents per United mile. When you hit the bonus you'll get about 1.1 cent a mile. ( at 25k spending + 10k bonus = 1.4 miles per dollar spent) If your planning on Just flying United, get Mileage plus, if you want a little bit of freedom then get Amex Gold. But remember you can still use MR points with United. You have to transfer points to Air Canada ./ Aeroplan and use star alliance cross rewards. It does cost a little more to go this route than using United miles, but you can still use the points for United flights.

@chunders wrote:

wait so are you using your freedom card or the sapphire for purchases?

1. Sapphire for restaurants / travel

2. Freedom for category / small purchases (grandfathered into 10% + 10 point bonus per transaction)

3. Chase/United Mileage Plus for airline tickets/ car rental/ Amex gift card purchases to pay rent / mortgage

4. Chase Ink for gas / office supplies and many others.  Chase Ink is arguably the best points generator on the planet amoung credit cards =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 16 of 18
chunders

Whats this big crumbs portal amex you refer to?

Message 17 of 18
chunders

I went to united site and logged in. They had 50,000 points for signup not 30! So I did it. instant approval. called chase, and they said my old business account was still open, hahah whoops

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.