Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on trimming cards

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Need help on trimming cards

I am trying to keep just 5 cards. I have to keep both of my USAA CCs ( joint) and Costco Amex (is being used the most). What other two cards should I trim? 

Info:

NFCU cashRewards 18.5K

Chase Freedom 12.9K (6K)

Discover it 8K

Barclays Arrival 5K

(Edited: I will wait and see.)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Need help on trimming cards

I'm confused. I thought you wanted to keep 10 cards the other day?

Didn't you just open the majority of your cards in the past 6-8 mos?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Any-suggestion-s-on-my-portfolio/m-p/2777977#M792857

Message 2 of 10
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Any-suggestion-s-on-my-portfolio/m-p/2777977#M792857

Smiley LOL

How are you Lexie? Smiley Tongue

I was addicted to applying for more cards last year and got out of hand. Especially with all the support I got in this forum. 

It was really fun to apply and even funner to receive the card in the mail.

Now I realize that it's a little bit too much for me to keep track of all the cards I have acquired in the past 6-8 mos.

I think 5 cards is the best number. It took me 7 mos and 80 point dive to learn my lesson. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 10
Weights
Regular Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

I am trying to keep just 5 cards. I have to keep both of my USAA CCs ( joint) and Costco Amex (is being used the most). What other two cards should I trim? 

Info:

NFCU cashRewards 18.5K

Chase Freedom 12.9K

Discover it 8K

Barclays Arrival 5K

Trust me when I state that your not alone in being guilty of acquiring too many.  I'm in a similar situation myself.  It's hard for any of us to make recommendations w/o knowing your spending patterns and whatnot.  Ask yourself which accounts are the most useful to you day to day in terms of the Apr, rewards, etc.  I'd probably recommend keeping the NFCU since that's your highest limit, and if you really need to close anything, just choose the two used the least if unsure.   

Message 4 of 10
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Smiley Wink

@Weights

Thank you

Message 5 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@DigitalArk wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Smiley LOL

I was addicted to applying for more cards last year and got out of hand. Especially with all the support I got in this forum. 

Now I realize that it's a little bit too much for me to keep track of all the cards I have acquired in the past 6-8 mos.

I think 5 cards is the best number. It took me 7 mos and 80 point dive to learn my lesson. Smiley Sad

You will eventually get your score back; closing them will not make it rise faster. But, if your lines are too much for you to handle , do what's best for you.  Close the cards with the highest aprs, least rewards/benefits to you.  Remember, your util will be impacted. 

Message 6 of 10
amakol
Regular Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Smiley LOL

Same here, you're not alone. Never regret mistakes though.

All the cards you have left are good/useful. It depends on your usage pattern, each card's age and limit, and even silly stuff like how much you like each one.

If it were me I'd keep Chase and either Barclays or Discover.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 7 of 10
Leadberry
Established Contributor

I would probably keep the NFCU card and either the Freedom or the Discover.  NFCU will likely give you the lowest APR.  If you ever have to carry a balance, with no BT fees you could just transfer any balances to that card and minimize interest.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 8 of 10
370Z
Frequent Contributor

I'd close the Arrival if you're not using it enough to justify the AF. Keep the others since they have no AF. Maybe you'll find use for them later.

EQ8 817 (2/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 837 (3/24) EX9 842 (3/24) TU8 824 (2/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

What other two cards should I trim? 

Need a lot more info regarding your needs/wants/etc.

@09Lexie wrote:

Remember, your util will be impacted. 

^ This.  I'd suggest calculating the impact to help you in your decision making.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.