cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on which cards to apply for

tag
BKATTYTN

Need help on which cards to apply for

I'm about to be at 20-25% utilization ($32,000 total limits).  My personal income is $100,000 (Household is $150,000).  My AAoA is 5.8 years.  I project my FICO scores will be between 690-710.  My current cards are BOA (x2), Cap One (x2), Wells Fargo and various store/gas cards.  I want to apply for a few new cards.  My list thus far is as follows:

Amex Delta Gold Skymiles

Chase Freedom

Discover More

Chase Marriott Rewards

Do I have a high likelihood of being approved for these cards?  If not, can you suggest some others that I would likely be approved for?  Also, in what order should I apply for these cards?  Is this too many to apply for at once?

I've done a lot of research.  I just want to enlist some advice from the pros on the forums.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help on which cards to apply for

@BKATTYTN wrote:

I'm about to be at 20-25% utilization ($32,000 total limits).  My personal income is $100,000 (Household is $150,000).  My AAoA is 5.8 years.  I project my FICO scores will be between 690-710.  My current cards are BOA (x2), Cap One (x2), Wells Fargo and various store/gas cards.  I want to apply for a few new cards.  My list thus far is as follows:

Amex Delta Gold Skymiles

Chase Freedom

Discover More

Chase Marriott Rewards

Do I have a high likelihood of being approved for these cards?  If not, can you suggest some others that I would likely be approved for?  Also, in what order should I apply for these cards?  Is this too many to apply for at once?

I've done a lot of research.  I just want to enlist some advice from the pros on the forums.  Thanks in advance.

Your UTIL is a little high, if possible to max your chances and CLI try to get under 10%.  You should be find getting AMEX delta gold (I have this card).  See how much you plan on using card and how often you travel to see which version of card (gold/plat, etc) works best for you.  While you are at it you may want to consider apping for one of their charge cards if you think you will use it (do this app first as its easier than the Delta card).  The two apps will probably only be one HP but be cautious, they sometimes pull all 3 reports.  (the only benefit of waiting on second card app is that if you app in Jan 2013 you can get full benefit of backdating).

Chase Freedom is a really good card esp if tied in with checking and CSP.  I recommend this card (I have it also).  Shouldnt be problem getting, the question is APR and CL.  (Note: Chase has a kind of shared CL score internally.  They will only allow you to have so much in CL accross their cards.  So if they see you as a max limit with chase at 3k and they approve chase Freedom for 2k then you will only be able to have 1k on another chase card - like the Chase Marriott card)

Discover more - I dont have Discover but those that do say the CLI are good and the shopping mall is excellent.

Chase Marriott is also another good card (I dont have it).  Be careful apping for 2 chase accounts at same time as you may have to recon second as their system doesnt like more than 1 app in a relatively short period of time (a couple of days).  Depending on where you stay when you travel you may want to look into AMEX SPG card for hotels.

O

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 16
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

B- Do you have any baddies, or any negatives on your reports? if I were you I'd try to find out what your true scores are right now, as well as do you have any utilization. Because from what I have seen Amex almost always pulls Experian, Chase Pulls Experian, Discover pulls Transunion or Equifax. I think based on your income you have a very good shot for all 4. Just make sure you have no baddies, no negative information, your scores are 700+, and I think you would be all set to go. Amex and Chase tend to like the fact that you have 23 cards reporting to see how you are managing. Good luck. And I have seen some people apply 5+ cards and get approved for all of them. but as always ymmv. For Chase apply at the same time. If I were you, I would apply for all four and see what happens. I happen to have the More card, and here in California, they pulled TU for me. But then again my score was 738 when they pulled it with no negatives or baddies, 6 months of history and 12,000 income as a student. Good luck!

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 3 of 16
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@bluesnowman wrote:

B- Do you have any baddies, or any negatives on your reports? if I were you I'd try to find out what your true scores are right now, as well as do you have any utilization. Because from what I have seen Amex almost always pulls Experian, Chase Pulls Experian, Discover pulls Transunion or Equifax. I think based on your income you have a very good shot for all 4. Just make sure you have no baddies, no negative information, your scores are 700+, and I think you would be all set to go. Amex and Chase tend to like the fact that you have 23 cards reporting to see how you are managing. Good luck. And I have seen some people apply 5+ cards and get approved for all of them. but as always ymmv. For Chase apply at the same time. If I were you, I would apply for all four and see what happens. I happen to have the More card, and here in California, they pulled TU for me. But then again my score was 738 when they pulled it with no negatives or baddies, 6 months of history and 12,000 income as a student. Good luck!

Chase has always pulled Equifax for me in Ohio.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 4 of 16
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Louisiana they pull EQ first and if borderline they also pull EX

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 16
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Correction, I meant 2-3 cards. And tnt, thank you for the heads up. I didn't think chase pulls equifax. From what I have seen here in California they pull experian. My highest is transunion at 742, and equifax is my lowest at 729 so I'm not sure who they would pull. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 6 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Chase pulls randomly. For me twice for TU and once for EQ in California.

Message 7 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Us+ is pretty good card too .....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 16
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@BKATTYTN wrote:

Amex Delta Gold Skymiles

Chase Freedom

Discover More

Chase Marriott Rewards

Based on the info you have provided, I'd say you were pretty good to go for any of the cards you've listed excluding the Marriott Rewards.  This is a Siggy Card and I don't know if you have experience with cards above 5K.  Your utility is a little high so if you have the ability , I'd get it to less then 20% but shouldn't be a problem if at 25% or less.  I'd sure like to know if you have any baddies.  Also what your true FICO is from MyFICO.  With your income, I'm thinking CLs in the 5K range or higher with Chase Freedom and Amex.  (The Freedom has lower approval criteria then Marriott Siggy even if approved for a Freedom Siggy). Why the Discover Card?  Almost the same rotating catagories as the Freedom card and they are much more conservative then Chase.  Also, if you are over the 700 FICO range, you might want to look into the BCE/BCP instead of the Delta unless you travel a lot.  $25 a week in Groceries pays for the BCP... Everything else is cake.   Just my recommendations with the info provided.  Of course, if you have recent baddies, all this goes out the window.  Let us know your FICO and payment history for a better recommendation and Good Luck! 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

With what I'm reading about your credit file your Fico should be much higher, but then what do you have on your reports? any baddies?

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.