cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to obtain a high limit Visa or Mastercard

tag
Razb0yn1k23

Re: Need help to obtain a high limit Visa or Mastercard

Penfed looks pretty good. I need to deposit some money for a savings account. If i deposit a couple thousand will they give a higher limit or that doesnt really matter. Hoping to get $20k plus. 

Message 11 of 29
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Razb0yn1k23 wrote:

Penfed looks pretty good. I need to deposit some money for a savings account. If i deposit a couple thousand will they give a higher limit or that doesnt really matter. Hoping to get $20k plus. 

PenFed is a careful granter of credit. They denied me a regular CC due to my utilization, so I went with a secured card from them for now, while I pay down my utilization. With your scores, and presuming your utilization is not like mine, you probably will be OK.

Whether you get $20k as a starter, I can't say.

With your goal "Low APR + High Limit" I suggest PenFed because it starts at, has the possibility for the lower APR. That seems to be the difficult part of most CC apps. There's plenty of cards that will grant a high limit... with a huge AF and high APR, but you want low APR, so you need to start with that and see where the CL lands. With experience / payment history with that lender you can probably grow the CL.

Or you may get $20k off the bat. YMMV Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One gave me my highest limit out the gate, worth the triple pull IMO (even if I'm planning on putting it in the sock drawer). Barclay gave me a decent CL,  and they were very receptive to recon CLI

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One gave me my highest limit out the gate, worth the triple pull IMO (even if I'm planning on putting it in the sock drawer). Barclay gave me a decent CL,  and they were very receptive to recon CLI

FICO's?

Message 14 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it really varies with too many factors.   My highest initial CLs (all $30K) have been Cap One and Citi (neither of which most people would suggest for this) and most recently NASA, but the feeling here is that high limits from them have stopped.    People also got good limits from Dinfer Club, but not taking apps at present.

And unlike HappyCamper123, Barclays has twice given me my lowest limit by far

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've heard Navy Federal credit union gives obscene credit limits. I am not eligible to join so I dunno

PenFed gave me a 5k limit when I had an under 2 year credit history, so you might get over 10k with them. Just make sure your EQ report is spotless when you apply, no INQs in the last 6 months. preferably no EQ INQs at all for highest limit

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

How fast do you need the credit? If you can wait 2 months you can app for an Amex card now and then do the 3x CLI after 60 days...
Message 17 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
How fast do you need the credit? If you can wait 2 months you can app for an Amex card now and then do the 3x CLI after 60 days...

But even with a 3x CLI, it won't be a Visa or MC!

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it really varies with too many factors.   My highest initial CLs (all $30K) have been Cap One and Citi (neither of which most people would suggest for this) and most recently NASA, but the feeling here is that high limits from them have stopped.    People also got good limits from Dinfer Club, but not taking apps at present.

I got my Q'S card last month, but YMMV.

As far as BarclayBatheyy initially gave me my lowest limit (5k) but doubled it in my recon call. Again, YMMV.

Message 19 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my Q'S card last month, but YMMV.

As far as BarclayBatheyy initially gave me my lowest limit (5k) but doubled it in my recon call. Again, YMMV.

I meant high limits have stopped from Nasa. 

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.