Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help trying to build credit for my wife

tag
dangerdave
Established Member

Re: Need help trying to build credit for my wife

I did the online application and they had to verify some information and when they did talk to her they approved her for 4500 and added me as an AU so it should help me as well.  When she was talking to them she asked if they could lower her APR and they told her that a supervisor would have to do that and there wasn't one around so she is at 19% for now after the intro rate expires.

Any ideas on how to get that lower?

Thanks,

David

Starting Score: 554
Current Score: 647
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice Job Dangerdave!

$4,500 is nothing to scoff at!!!  Assuming you PIF at the end of each month, the APR really doesn't matter.  Keep utilization low and pay it off every month and it will do wonders for both you and your wife.

Who did she get that with (don't see the company)  Citi? 

Message 12 of 21
dangerdave
Established Member

No scoffing here.  I was just a little surprised that they would give a CL like that.  I'm really glad.  Sory I didnt mention the CC.  It was Discover.  We tried to get it linked to her old acct from 01 but they wouldnt do it.

So you are saying the APR is no big deal.  Just trying to learn.  I figured that lenders might see that and see her as a bigger risk with that APR...

David

Message 13 of 21
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

No, lenders won't see her as a bigger risk with that APR.  That APR isn't listed on the credit reports.  That is only between Discover and her/you.  The only time it could show as a bigger risk, is if its close to, or maxed out.  That's why you should try to pay in full, or keep utilization below 10% before the statement cycles each month, so it shows a low balance when its reported monthly.

If you don't know the cycle date on the account, call Discover and ask them.  Pay your balance in full, or keep it less than 450$.

I hope i made sense, lol

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 14 of 21
dangerdave
Established Member

Perfect sense.  Thanks for the information.  I'm sure I'll have some more difficult questions later Smiley Happy

Thanks again

Message 15 of 21
dangerdave
Established Member

Now that she has a discover card.  It's the only card she has.  I'm itching to have her apply for another but I don't want to look like I'm trying to build her credit to quickly (which I am, sorta)  No need,  just impatient.  How long should I wait for her to apply for another card?  I have no immediate need for credit,  just trying to do the right thing.

Oh another thing.  Once I get my 3 credit cards straight should I add her as an AU for the AAOA.  I've had my cards since 03, 04 and 05.  Will it help her AAoA as well?

Thanks again...

David

Message 16 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@dangerdave wrote:

Now that she has a discover card.  It's the only card she has.  I'm itching to have her apply for another but I don't want to look like I'm trying to build her credit to quickly (which I am, sorta)  No need,  just impatient.  How long should I wait for her to apply for another card?  I have no immediate need for credit,  just trying to do the right thing.

Oh another thing.  Once I get my 3 credit cards straight should I add her as an AU for the AAOA.  I've had my cards since 03, 04 and 05.  Will it help her AAoA as well?

Thanks again...

David

She will inherit the entire history of these accounts. Just make sure the utilization stays very low and the payment history is clean. Keep in mind that if these accounts start to go south it will affect her credit as well.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 17 of 21
dangerdave
Established Member

Thanks Marine for the answer to the AAoA question.  I do appreciate it.

Does anybody want to give me some advice on the first part...  I could use it...

Thanks...

Message 18 of 21
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Is she going for CITI next?    I would do it now since she has positive history with them.   Just an opinion.

Message 19 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would go ahead and pick 3 banks and apply now all at once. if you have discover, consider Citi and maybe an american express charge card like Zync

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.