cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help understanding MR points to FF transfer...

tag
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Need help understanding MR points to FF transfer...

Hello,

Everyone I need help with one. I'm getting married soon and a lot of family is coming into the USA via flights. Mostly virgin, United or American Airlines.

I also have to travel quite a bit now, for honey moon and work.

I have approx 1.3 million Amex points. But what I was doing was redeeming them for travel directly via ms points website. Is that wrong ?? Can I transfer them and get more for my points ?? Also how do I transfer them ?? I am not frequent flyer with an airline.

Sorry for sounding so dumb, I don't travel outside the USA a lot because work has us always tied up.

Thanks

Mod edit to title; I changed "MS" to "MR" to help avoid any forum confusion on the topic.  --SE

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help understanding MS points to FF transfer...

What are you rich or something? Whats MS points?

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 2 of 17
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Amex points... The membership rewards points...

I have racked up about 1,250,000 so far... Yeah not a typo I haven't used much this year in redemption... For real how should I use these points to get the most value back.
Message 3 of 17
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@youngman1234 wrote:
Amex points... The membership rewards points...

I have racked up about 1,250,000 so far... Yeah not a typo I haven't used much this year in redemption... For real how should I use these points to get the most value back.

Well, the best way is to transfer the points to a FF program. I'd advise you not to transfer them to a hotel program though....Def don't transfer to HHonors.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Message 4 of 17
youngman1234
Established Contributor

How do I go about doing this ??

First sign up with any airline ?? Is that easy and does that cost anything ??

Second, how do you transfer them ?? Call Amex and tell them to transfer ??

Third, how long does the transfer take ?

Fourth, which ff transfer gives you the most value for the points ?? Which airline is the best to transfer to ??
Message 5 of 17
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@youngman1234 wrote:
How do I go about doing this ??

First sign up with any airline ?? Is that easy and does that cost anything ??

Second, how do you transfer them ?? Call Amex and tell them to transfer ??

Third, how long does the transfer take ?

Fourth, which ff transfer gives you the most value for the points ?? Which airline is the best to transfer to ??

Yup, sign up with a FF and get your member number or account number, whatever they want to call it. Click on your MR points and find the FF you signed up for (check to see that the FF you're signing up for is part of Amex FF program). Add your member number and you're set to transfer points. Honestly, it all depends on where youre going. It's difficult to tell you which FF will yield the most value.

Message 6 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

before you go about transferring any of your points you should decide where you want to travel to then you can make an better decision on how to transfer your points.  

If you want to really go crazy with that many points i would think about flying singapore air first class suite, or something like that :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

before you go about transferring any of your points you should decide where you want to travel to then you can make an better decision on how to transfer your points.  

If you want to really go crazy with that many points i would think about flying singapore air first class suite, or something like that :-)

This sounds like a good use of the points.

OP, check through the list of available MR partners (ignoring the hotel partners of course) Many airlines are not there, but my limited understanding is Singapore may be one of the best options. I think United is not in that list of MR partners.

Still, I'm wondering how someone gets 1,250,000 or whatever it is MR points? Was there a lottery I missed?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 17
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Yeah everyone there is no secret to get the points... I use my Amex cards for business use... And we charge about 2-3 million a year so that is why we have so many points.

Thanks
Message 9 of 17
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@youngman1234 wrote:
Yeah everyone there is no secret to get the points... I use my Amex cards for business use... And we charge about 2-3 million a year so that is why we have so many points.

Thanks

You might want to use the proper Amex term or just points. MS refers to something not allowed on this board.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.