cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Macy's Visa (a bit long... sorry)

tag
mipema
Contributor

Need help with Macy's Visa (a bit long... sorry)

I have a Macy's department store credit card which has been opened since 1999.  Since that time, payments have always been on time, I have gotten CLI's, etc.  Currently, I have a 1500 limit with them. 

Back in late June, early July of this year, I would come home after work to see my caller ID display an unfamiliar number calling on a daily basis.  Sometimes several times a day.  First I shrugged it off as a tele-marketer, but I registered my phone with www.donotcall.gov, so was wondering why I was being innodated with calls from these tele-marketers after specifically instructing them not to call my phone. 

Then I thought perhaps it may be a CA calling for some bill I most likely forgot about years ago, and now it is time to "pay the piper" so to speak.  (I didn't think that I owed anybody money, and for the past 3 years or so, have been meticulous about paying my bills on time and in full).  Finally, I decided that I would return the call, and if it turns out to be a CA, I would deal with them.

Turns out, it has been Macy's calling to tell me I had been approved for their Visa card.  The person on the phone told me all about the rewards that I would get, such as 3% back when used in store, and 1% back when used outside the store, among other rewards.  I don't recall if she mentioned the CL.  (I don't think so, but it's moot point nevertheless).  She never mentioned anything about the APR, nor did I ask.  It was a mistake on my part not to ask, but it had just slipped my mind I suppose.  I received the card about a month later.

Fast forward to today, I called last night, and again today, to speak with a CSR about getting my APR reduced.  They both gave me the same song and dance.  They told me that I am currently at a 20.15% variable APR on the VISA side, and this CANNOT be adjusted, by anyone - Not by a supervisor, not by a CSR - NOT BY ANYONE.  Not only that, but they both told me that this is the policy for ANY of their customers.  According to the pre-recorded message buzzing in my ear while I wait for a CSR, I get a friendly little greeting saying "Thank you for being one of our BEST customers."  I proceeded to ask the CSR, "so you are telling me that anyone that has a visa with Macy's has a 20.15% APR, even your BEST customers?"  His response was "This is exactly what I am telling you."  If this is how they treat their "BEST" customers, I would not want to find out how they just treat an average Joe, or someone with less than stellar credit.

I found both of the CSR's responses very difficult to belive, so what are some tactics I could use to get them to lower my APR.  I really do not want to give up this card, but would consider threatning to cancel should they not agree to work with me in regards to a lower APR. 

Does anyone else who has a Macy's Visa have the same terms?  20.15% APR, and is this standard policy for Macy's not to consider lowering the APR? 

As a side note, when I look on my reports, the visa is being reports on EX, and EQ, but not TU.  I mentioned to the CSR that this account was not being reported to TU, and he assured me that it would show up there in the next 60 days. 

My scores:

TU:  706 - 9/24
EX:  705 - 9/24
EQ:  693 - 9/24

Any input is helpful.  Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help with Macy's Visa (a bit long... sorry)

I looked up macy's on "whogavemecredit" and there were a few that said 18 or 19.99%.  Most said 0%. (which I take to mean that they didn't know)  Then again, it could be that the people who reported less than 20% were just mistaken.

Sorry bout your frustrations.  I would be upset, too.

Message Edited by willows on 10-10-2007 09:26 AM
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

depending on how old the info on whogavemecredit is, they reps could be right.  Most cobranded store cards are just that, store cards on steroids.  When you are upgraded, you are probably coming in at their highest interest rate.  My target card did the same.  Even though it does have the Visa logo, I treat it like a store card on steroids.
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

mipema, which bank underwrites your card? In other words, who really gets your money? (not Macy's, I'm thinking)

I app'd for what I thought was an old-fashioned Sears store card at checkout last Dec 20. I tossed out what looked like junk mail from Citibank for the next two months before I realized that they were credit card statements. After picking up a late as punishment for my cluelessness, I now have a $750 CL Citi Mastercard with a 32.24% APR, which I find hysterical. Needless to say, it snuggles up next to my navy socks with the hole at the big toe.

While I can see carrying one true store card, if it's a place you shop and gives you good discounts for using the card, I agree with Brammy-- "Most cobranded store cards are just that, store cards on steroids."
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
mipema
Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
mipema, which bank underwrites your card? In other words, who really gets your money? (not Macy's, I'm thinking)

Thanks for the replies Willow, Brammy, and Haulingthescoreup.

I just got off the phone with a CSR at Macy's, and I asked who was underwriting my card, as I did not know the answer. He told me that the bank underwriting the card is the Federal Department Store Bank (FDSB), and they are an affiliate of Citibank. He also mentioned something about DSNB - said it was another way they are referred to.

Mike

Message Edited by mipema on 10-10-2007 08:03 PM

Message Edited by mipema on 10-10-2007 08:04 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.