Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with amex pc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with amex pc

Are there requirements to do a product change besides the 13 month rule? Does your score have to be in a certain range or is it just automatic at request? I currently have the delta sykymiles card the green card and the ed card. I'm new to the amex family so my 13 month won't be until Oct. I applied out right about a week ago for the platinum amex card and was declined due to inquiries from car shopping. Will i be able to pc from green to platinum in oct on my 13th month? Typing on a cell. Sorry for typos
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help with amex pc

@Anonymous wrote:
Are there requirements to do a product change besides the 13 month rule? Does your score have to be in a certain range or is it just automatic at request? I currently have the delta sykymiles card the green card and the ed card. I'm new to the amex family so my 13 month won't be until Oct. I applied out right about a week ago for the platinum amex card and was declined due to inquiries from car shopping. Will i be able to pc from green to platinum in oct on my 13th month? Typing on a cell. Sorry for typos

You should not  have any problem PCing from the green to the Platinum in October.  Having said that, while the letter on the denial may have said you were denied for too many inquiries, that wasn't the real reason.  Creditors use that reason to justify denials but in reality inquiries are rarely the real reason and certainly not ones that resulted from auto applications.  There is something in your scores or credit file that caused the denial other than inquiries.  I would take a hard look at yourreports and see what you can do to improve them.  That way you can be approved for the Platinum and take advantage of signup bonus.  PCing to a card with a $550 AF is far below getting approved for the card with the signup bonus.  

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Doing a PC to the Platinum is almost never a good idea because you could miss out on the lucrative MR points bonuses they hand out from time to time. My suggestion is just to nurse the cards you have, use and pay frequently and keep watch on the Platinum for those bonus points offers. When you see one that has a high offer with a low spend requirement, cold-app for it. AMEX only pop an HP if you're approved, so if they decline you again, no harm no foul.

I got my Platinum through a special email offer but I lost out on the bonus points because I cound't make the spend requirements Smiley Sad

One other thing, I think your chances would be higher if you waited until your account is a year old. In the meantime, play the CLI game with your Delta and ED cards. I just got a full 3X bump to 18k on my ED card. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks will do!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That make alot of sense. I think what may be bothering them is some late payment from a student loan from 3 years ago. My only derog is from 6 years ago and due to age off in Dec. Medical bill 😩
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my Platinum through a special email offer but I lost out on the bonus points because I cound't make the spend requirements Smiley Sad

That doesn't mean that can't apply at another time in the future and get the bonus then.  Also remember there are 3 (4 if you count business one) platinum versions. The regular Platinum, Mercedes Benz and Charles Schwab all offer varing signup bonuses and you can get the bonus from each one of those once.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That doesn't mean that can't apply at another time in the future and get the bonus then.  Also remember there are 3 (4 if you count business one) platinum versions. The regular Platinum, Mercedes Benz and Charles Schwab all offer varing signup bonuses and you can get the bonus from each one of those once.

The MB and Schwab cards I have no interest in. Are you saying to app for another Platinum or close the one I have now and re-app? I am new to this...

Message 7 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Cold apping for platinum will usually net you the most MRs as a sign up bonus, but they do have targeted offers for upgrades so keep an eye out in your account.  I got 50,000 MR points for upgrading my Green Rewards to Platinum, which was a better deal to me since I got to keep the 2002 account date.  It also covered the AF for the first year, so I was able to try it out and have discovered that its worth the AF (and AU AF) for the perks alone.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.