Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with new jc penney store card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with new jc penney store card

hey y'all,

my question is......I just applied and received a $200 jc penney store credit card.

Can anybody tell me when i will be eligible to call and get cli?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help with new jc penney store card

Good luck with that---they are plenty stingy for most people! Some get lucky, though.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
D190X

I started with a $200 limit a couple of years ago, it's up to $1550 and I've never asked for a CLI
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would use it and give it sometime before asking them for anything. GEMB is decreasing credit lines right up there with Amex.
Message 4 of 14
Miner
Frequent Contributor

I got my card 10 years ago with a $200 limit and have never seen a CLI despite the fact that all my CCs are over $10k.  They don't seem to even consider your CR.

I tried asking for a CLI last month and was told they want 4 months of regular use before they can even consider it.  I don't shop at JcPenny very often, but when I do I normally spend over $200 so this card has been pretty useless except for the 10% off I got when I first opened it.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 5 of 14
tunseeker1
Regular Contributor

Have you actually used the card yet?

Why did you get the card? Just for open TL and low UTL?

This card along with many others actually look at your usage not what you want. I know that after 3 months of use they bumped me from $500 to $1000.

Avg use per month was about $350 and was PIF first 2 months and half in the third. Fourth month was about $350 also. 

Message Edited by tunseeker1 on 10-29-2008 06:11 PM
Message 6 of 14
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

hey y'all,

my question is......I just applied and received a $200 jc penney store credit card.

Can anybody tell me when i will be eligible to call and get cli?

Thanks! 

Hello Mandela: I opened an account using the online application on August 31. I had a pretty rough first day with JC Penney but it all worked out in the end. I went from a $100 opening CL (instant online) to $4000 (CL adjustment). No additional inquiry, used same report pulled from online application. I would get on the phone with them right away, so they can use the initial application. Credit Cust Svc 1-800-527-4403.  Read my post first so you call prepared on how they handle the accounts. Good Luck!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&message.id=111758&query.id=168064#M111758

[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 7 of 14
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

This card along with many others actually look at your usage not what you want. I know that after 3 months of use they bumped me from $500 to $1000.

Message Edited by tunseeker1 on 10-29-2008 06:11 PM

This is good to know.  I have several GEMB accounts.  I use only 3 on a regular basis: Walmart, Amazon Store Card, and PayPal Buyers.  I requested CLIs on both of them last month and only got one on Walmart ($75.00).  I have a JCP ($250.) , but have not used it since getting it back in April or so.  I guess I should start pitting $50.00 or so on it here and there.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 8 of 14
tunseeker1
Regular Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

This is good to know.  I have several GEMB accounts.  I use only 3 on a regular basis: Walmart, Amazon Store Card, and PayPal Buyers.  I requested CLIs on both of them last month and only got one on Walmart ($75.00).  I have a JCP ($250.) , but have not used it since getting it back in April or so.  I guess I should start pitting $50.00 or so on it here and there.

$50.00 or so a month and PIF will prove that you have all the limit you need. If you want a higher limit with them you usually have to buy it by paying interest. They want you to keep spending  so if you spend $200 only pay off $100 then next month pay off more so you don't spend a lot in interest.

Message 9 of 14
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@tunseeker1 wrote:

@Changingmantra wrote:

$50.00 or so a month and PIF will prove that you have all the limit you need. If you want a higher limit with them you usually have to buy it by paying interest. They want you to keep spending  so if you spend $200 only pay off $100 then next month pay off more so you don't spend a lot in interest.

Yes, this is the rationale I have always had too, but I have taken this approach with three GEMB cards: Walmart (0/$575), Amazon ($130/$700) max balance was $250ish, and Pay Pal Buyers ($215/$600) max balance was $420ish.  Walmart carried a small balance for a few months then I paid it off last month.  I got denied CLI on all accounts early last month... even got a letter about being denied for the Walmart CLI, but .. they had actually given me a $75 CLI.  We shall see what happens.  I will pay off one or both of the other cards this month.  Then I will actually go out and use the JC Penney card.  They do have great sales on sweaters and coats and I will have no problem putting $200.00 on my lil $250 CL.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.