Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need opinions on maxing CLI for US Bank

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Need opinions on maxing CLI for US Bank

IDK how I feel about this. On one hand it can be a great way to a bigger CL, but on the other hand I have seen several CLIs declined due to "too much" available credit used.  Also how's your income with 125K in available credit? USB does run DTI calculations on CLI requests. And as mentioned above, USB "may" pull a CR for as little as a $100 CLI request, so be prepared for that. 

GL OP

@Ghoshida wrote:

@noobody wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Personally I think maxing out a card just makes you look irresponsible which is the last thing you want when going for a CLI.

I know there tiny limit sucks but you can show usage and pay it off without resorting to maxing it out. Yes the utilization will correct itself but the bigger issue, IMO, is how it will appear to US Bank. To me, someone maxing out their card isn't going to appear to be a good thing that warrants a CLI. But you have to do what you think is best. I just think you need patience instead of looking for a quick fix here. US Bank is conservative. No way around it.

There is difference between MAX the card and pay minimum and MAX the card and pay off (several time a month).

The 1st shows irresponsible and financial trouble, the second show the bank you need CLI.

Agreed. This is the main reason I suggested the OP to ensure his statement date is not at the end of the month. Whether he pays multiple times or not, leaving a

I used to charge close to $1k a month, but pay it down to zero before end of month. At the 6-month mark, I tried the $1.5k SP CLI (on all 4 of my US Bank Cards, including Club Carlson), and got it. It may not see another increase because (a) it's current SD-ed and (b) it'll be cancelled before the next AF hits. 

It's not always an option for everyone (IDK what it depends on to be offered it), but if you're the kind of person who want's to keep it open for the history, you could ask to downgrade to the version of the Club Carlson Visa that doesn't have an AF and retain the account. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 21 of 24
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

IDK how I feel about this. On one hand it can be a great way to a bigger CL, but on the other hand I have seen several CLIs declined due to "too much" available credit used.  Also how's your income with 125K in available credit? USB does run DTI calculations on CLI requests. And as mentioned above, USB "may" pull a CR for as little as a $100 CLI request, so be prepared for that. 

GL OP

@Ghoshida wrote:

@noobody wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Personally I think maxing out a card just makes you look irresponsible which is the last thing you want when going for a CLI.

I know there tiny limit sucks but you can show usage and pay it off without resorting to maxing it out. Yes the utilization will correct itself but the bigger issue, IMO, is how it will appear to US Bank. To me, someone maxing out their card isn't going to appear to be a good thing that warrants a CLI. But you have to do what you think is best. I just think you need patience instead of looking for a quick fix here. US Bank is conservative. No way around it.

There is difference between MAX the card and pay minimum and MAX the card and pay off (several time a month).

The 1st shows irresponsible and financial trouble, the second show the bank you need CLI.

Agreed. This is the main reason I suggested the OP to ensure his statement date is not at the end of the month. Whether he pays multiple times or not, leaving a

I used to charge close to $1k a month, but pay it down to zero before end of month. At the 6-month mark, I tried the $1.5k SP CLI (on all 4 of my US Bank Cards, including Club Carlson), and got it. It may not see another increase because (a) it's current SD-ed and (b) it'll be cancelled before the next AF hits. 

It's not always an option for everyone (IDK what it depends on to be offered it), but if you're the kind of person who want's to keep it open for the history, you could ask to downgrade to the version of the Club Carlson Visa that doesn't have an AF and retain the account. 

Thanks for the info, 14Fiesta. I just checked what the no-AF card looks like.

I'll decide in 3 months or so. I didn't find the reward structure of the no-AF card very enticing honestly. If I don't find use for the card, I may not keep it !

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Monoglot! 

Please come back and update your thread with the outcome of your test. Thanks in advance!

Message 23 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The other hiccup I can see with this plan is that isn't US Bank pretty rock solid about "6 months before first CLI"? I don't think OP has had the Cash Rewards for 6 months, so they may not see any results even if this idea were to be succesful.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.