Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need secured CC's....tell me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need secured CC's....tell me

I have only had 1 CC up til now and I recently paid it off as it was charged off as bad debt/collection with over a year of me not paying it up until recently I paid it off. It was a First Premier Card.

Long story short I only have 1 active account now on my credit report. My Homecomings Mortgage, which was in Foreclosure twice in the past 4 years, with obviously many late payments. Everything else I had for credit is now at a zero balance, except for the mortgage as I said and it has been up to date since May, my low point, credit score was low 400's on all reports.

NOW

TU:   538

EQ:   530

EX:   568

That being said, I have $1000 for unsecured credit. What should I do with it?  I by the way, am looking to the future and understand my credit can drop for applying for new credit, but I would like very much to recieve at least 2 if not 3 secured cards, even if it drops me now, I want to better off in a year. you understand.

I bank with Navy Federal Credit Union and will definatly get 1 secured account with them, would it be rediculous to get 2 or more?

as for the others I am totally open to recieving good secured CC's that will report. what do you guys think? and thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need secured CC's....tell me

obviously MYFICO score simulator shows at best action as stand right now would be to pay bills on time for 24 months and would still only bring me to 550-580 range in 24 months with them amount of credit I have now. Unaccepptable, I NEED new credit.
Message 2 of 5
Scamp
Valued Contributor

aaron13208 wrote:

I have only had 1 CC up til now and I recently paid it off as it was charged off as bad debt/collection with over a year of me not paying it up until recently I paid it off. It was a First Premier Card.

Long story short I only have 1 active account now on my credit report. My Homecomings Mortgage, which was in Foreclosure twice in the past 4 years, with obviously many late payments. Everything else I had for credit is now at a zero balance, except for the mortgage as I said and it has been up to date since May, my low point, credit score was low 400's on all reports.

NOW

TU:   538

EQ:   530

EX:   568

That being said, I have $1000 for unsecured credit. What should I do with it?  I by the way, am looking to the future and understand my credit can drop for applying for new credit, but I would like very much to recieve at least 2 if not 3 secured cards, even if it drops me now, I want to better off in a year. you understand.

I bank with Navy Federal Credit Union and will definatly get 1 secured account with them, would it be rediculous to get 2 or more?

as for the others I am totally open to recieving good secured CC's that will report. what do you guys think? and thanks

Aaron, I'm not sure having more than one cc right now will make much difference to your score (I'll let others who know more about the fine points of scoring chip in on that part of it), but my 2 cents', based on my own experience, would be to suggest putting all of that $1K into one secured card with NFCU. 

Use that card faithfully but minimally, keeping the reported balance either below 9% or at 0, which means either just charging a sandwich on it each month or using it more than that and paying in full before the statement date/reporting date for your account (usually one and the same, but you'll have to check on this).

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

aaron13208 wrote:
obviously MYFICO score simulator shows at best action as stand right now would be to pay bills on time for 24 months and would still only bring me to 550-580 range in 24 months with them amount of credit I have now. Unaccepptable, I NEED new credit.

Go back and play with the other options on the sims (both for EQ and TU.) Scroll down to where it says:

The actions below can sometimes (but not always) help your FICO® score

Seek New Credit

See how your FICO® Score might change if you:

Apply for and receive a new credit card with a credit limit of: $

Apply for and receive a new mortgage in the amount of: $

Apply for and receive a new auto loan in the amount of: $

Apply for instant credit at a department store.
Plug in different figures for the credit card option ($1K, $5K) and see if it projects a possible score increase. Go with the middle figure in the projected score range.

This is by no means gospel, but it might indicate whether additional tradelines (credit accounts) would help you. Right now, you're being crushed by the semi-recent foreclosures, I'm afraid.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
iltph
Frequent Contributor

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question. I've had an Orchard $300 SC for 9 months. Since the card never grows and I have an annual fee, I would like to cancel it in a few months. Would it be better for me to get an NFCU SC along with a BoA SC or would just NFCU be good? I'm also looking in terms of what would be best 1-2 years from now. (who's going to give me better CLIs, etc.)

-------------------------------------------
April 2009: TU 768
March 2009: EQ 671
February 2009: EQ 666
January 2009: TU 667 | EQ 620 | EX 669
December 2008: TU 651 | EQ 625 | EX 649
April 2008: TU 642 | EQ 636 | EX 635
November 2007: EQ 542

November 2006: EQ 501
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.