Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need secured card for mortgage

tag
Tersie319
New Contributor

Re: Need secured card for mortgage

Oh my gosh, UncleB!  I didn't even think of that!  I will check with the LO  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 7/2/2013: TU 532 FAKO (CK) || 7/22/13: TU 569 FAKO
Current Score: TU 642 FAKO (CK) // EX 640 FAKO
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 26
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would go to your local credit union and set up a checking account and credit account. I would also attempt to negotiate a PFD on any of the baddies. Just make sure you don't dispute them, as that can restart the timer for them to drop off your report.

+1. My first card in rebuild, secured 500 credit Union Card (recommended tactic by Suze Orman, 2013).  No hard pulls.  Call around, make sure no hard pull to join credit union, and that they have secured card.

Signature needs updating
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tersie319 wrote:

The USAA has not had any activity in a few years so he is not counting that one.  The secured credit card will be the 3rd CL. 

I don't qualify for membership at SDFCU.

This is exactly why credit is messed up:

Old tradeline, active, responsibly managed, but no recent charges - Does not Count, but new tradeline with NO history - Yea we will count that.

Can't you make a purchase on it and let it report then it will count? (Edit just saw this was said in the next post lol)

As for SDFCU - Join the consumer Councile for $5.00 and bam your in:

https://www.americanconsumercouncil.org/membership.asp?dname=Americanconsumercouncil.org

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Tersie319 wrote:

Thank you Revelate!  LO said we need 3 CL's.  He is counting my CapOne and the CapOne that I am an AU on.  The USAA has not had any activity in a few years so he is not counting that one.  The secured credit card will be the 3rd CL. 

I added hubby as an AU on my CapOne but he still wants us to get the 3rd CL.  Going with one that doesn't do a HP sounds like a great idea, especially since our scores aren't that great.  Thinking maybe Open Sky or USAA.  I am a member of USAA but am an AU on my dad's account so guessing going with another bank would be a better option.  I don't qualify for membership at SDFCU.

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but could you make a purchase (or have the account owner make a purchase on) the USAA card to generate activity? 

It seems that would be 'low hanging fruit' to count as one of your three.  Smiley Happy

That was exactly what I was just thinking.  Buy a coffee or something, and that should give activity on a TL with a LOT of history instead of a new TL.

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but could you make a purchase (or have the account owner make a purchase on) the USAA card to generate activity? 

It seems that would be 'low hanging fruit' to count as one of your three.  Smiley Happy

UncleB rocks!!  You always have great recommendations.  Smiley Happy 

Message 25 of 26
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

UncleB rocks!!  You always have great recommendations.  Smiley Happy 

Rev had my back when I overlooked the special needs of the OP due to the upcoming mortgage application, and sometimes I'm lucky enough to be in a position to pay it forward... that's what we all do on here. 

I've gained far more than I'll ever be able to give back, though... Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.