Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some adivce on proper steps to take

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some adivce on proper steps to take

Hi i am relatively new but have been lurking here for a while.

Some of you may have seen the post on the Nationwide Bank thread, for you guys this may be a refresher.

The situation:

I am 24 and one year out of college. I have a good Job as a Nationwide Insurance Agent

After major problem getting a credit card (did not have one prior to graduation, always just paid cash/debit) despite my immacualte almost 4 year auto loan history i was approved for a Ochard Bank card with a 300cl back in Feb. Wednesday i applied for that nationwide card and was instantly approved.... found out today for 3,500 at 11.4 or so APR.

more background

-i have no debt for student loans, just a car loan i have never missed

-i am looking to marry in about 2 years(1 of which spent engaged)

My goal is to be financially sound as possible when it comes time for the wedding. I also have a potential home purchase on the 2 year or so horizon. I want to maximize my credit scores and push hard to move up through the levels. I currently still have the crappy orchard card and the nationwide card is on the way. These two cards are my only revolving debt with my auto loan being my only installment.

THE QUESTION:

i am contemplating apping for the Amex as i was sent for a pre selected Green offer (i might opt for zync though). I thought of doing this with the intentions of using this card to replace my debit usage and reaping the rewards. I have heard some interesting info on how Amex reports and am concerned my thin file might amplify any bad effects.

Also- Should i close the orchard account and attempt to get a different other credit card with a matching limit instead of getting the Amex? or should i just sock drawer the orchard and let it report 0 and play the report date/post date games on my new nationwide card to report a low Util.

Any advice will be welcomed! i am new but i am soaking in as much as possible through this wonderful sight..........i also signed up for SW so im hoping to stay ontop of things!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need some adivce on proper steps to take

I would apply for the Zync or Green whatever you prefer once your Nationwide credit card is reporting.

I would also go ahead and add a 3rd card, Citi or Discover would probably be my choice, and maybe a store card, know where you are going to buy that ring? Kays gives VERY large limits.Then once you have these cards in place close out the Orchard if it has an annual fee.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some advice on proper steps to take

Yea the orchard card has like a 70ish or so fee if I remember so I want to definitely get rid of it before I get charged again.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.