Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice on closing a cc...

tag
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

Need some advice on closing a cc...

Hi all! I know that closing a cc is usually based on one's personal needs/ spending habits, but I am posting to get other perspectives and experiences with the Capital One Quicksilver One. It has an annual fee and 1.5% cashback. I was recently approved for the US Bank Cash Rewards at 1%, which is low compared to other cards that I have below in my sig. I was using the QSO for reoccurring bills sich as Netflix and MyFICO. I plan to use my Cash Rewards in the same manner, and for other non catergory spending that I wouldn't otherwise see more than 2% cb on, so that can show history and pc to the Cash+ hopefully in 3 months. Is there any benefit to the QSO that I am not seeing? Is there ever any promotions that curent card members might be able to opt in on, simliar to the Dicover It promo? Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some advice on closing a cc...

Call cap one to product change qs1 to qs with no annual fee. If they say no, close the account.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

umm QS1 does have a $39 AF...
Message 3 of 10
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I see that fee on their website but for some reason was only charged $19.99 last year...

@Anonymous wrote:
Call cap one to product change qs1 to qs with no annual fee. If they say no, close the account.

I forgot to mention that I attempted a product change and they said that I had no offers. Have been trying to change for a few months now... I guess I wlil just cancel... Thanks.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i wouldn't keep a card with an AF if you don't use i
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have history with them you can probably turn right around and apply for a regular Quicksilver and get it. However, I consider a relationship with us bank superior as they won't crack and gimme one. Personal bias.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glkslngr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I see that fee on their website but for some reason was only charged $19.99 last year...

@Anonymous wrote:

I forgot to mention that I attempted a product change and they said that I had no offers. Have been trying to change for a few months now... I guess I wlil just cancel... Thanks.

Your credit card lineup looks strong. It's their loss not trying to retain you. You'll get a guarantee of 10 years of perfect payment on your credit report.

Message 7 of 10
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Glkslngr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Your credit card lineup looks strong. It's their loss not trying to retain you. You'll get a guarantee of 10 years of perfect payment on your credit report.

Thanks for the advice!

Message 8 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

have it changed to Cap One QuickSilver (not one.)

No annual fee and 1.5% cash back.

Try not to ever close a card unless you can not stand the annual fee.

Length of accounts matter.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glkslngr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you tried asking them to waive the AF? If you've been using the card, they might give you either a lifetime waiver or a 1 year waiver of the fee. If you can get that, the 1.5% beats your other cards, and you can try again in a year.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.