Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice on growing AMEX and Citibank

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Need some advice on growing AMEX and Citibank

If you want to optimize, go for 8.9% or below. 9% is a threshold, and 9.0000000000001% puts you above it. 8.9% is safe.

But as noted above, you don't need to optimize all the time. 28.9% will result in a lower score, but it's considered to be responsible usage.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been doing well with paying off all my credit cards. However, Capital One (I was an AU for my Mom's card for the past 2 years) decided to remove this account from my Credit Report and now my Age of Credit is down from 2+ years to 3 months. :-( I was just about to ask for a CLI for my AMEX Delta Card ($3100) credit line. Being at student with only limited income of between $12-15K, should I even bother? Should I just wait until I have 6 months of history with all my CC? My Everyday is $1K and my Citibank is $2000. I don't know if any of them will grant me a CLI. I'm still waiting for the updated Credit score but utilization is under 8%. Thank you in advance for your guidance/advice. 

Message 12 of 14
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Just wanted to add that Amex and Citi are probably easiest to grow with no impact to your credit report since they will increase your credit without a hard pull. You have the info for Amex. Citi will give you a soft CLI every 6 months or so. Make sure it says they will not impact your credit. If it says they will pull your credit then you need to wait a little longer. Just click the button and put whatever amount you want in the request. They will counter if it’s too much.

You can also get Citi to lower your APR if you ask nicely in the chat on the website. I make a point to ask about every month or so. Most of the time they tell me there’s no offer available and to try again later but a couple times they’ve offered to reduce it. If your card is in a 0% intro period you may need to wait until that ends first.

Amex and Citi have the best card products of all the big lenders in my opinion with great potential to earn rewards. Both are in my wallet now. Enjoy and good luck!
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:
Just wanted to add that Amex and Citi are probably easiest to grow with no impact to your credit report since they will increase your credit without a hard pull. You have the info for Amex. Citi will give you a soft CLI every 6 months or so. Make sure it says they will not impact your credit. If it says they will pull your credit then you need to wait a little longer. Just click the button and put whatever amount you want in the request. They will counter if it’s too much.

You can also get Citi to lower your APR if you ask nicely in the chat on the website. I make a point to ask about every month or so. Most of the time they tell me there’s no offer available and to try again later but a couple times they’ve offered to reduce it. If your card is in a 0% intro period you may need to wait until that ends first.

Amex and Citi have the best card products of all the big lenders in my opinion with great potential to earn rewards. Both are in my wallet now. Enjoy and good luck!

@Thank you for your reply @MrDisco99. With my 3 cards, my utilization is actually around 3%. When asking for CLI, will AMEX only look at my history with them and my credit score or will the fact that my age of credit now of just 3 months automatically disqualify me? I've read on the forum that you ask for CLI after 61 days, then 180 days after that. Would you recommend that I use my AMEX Delta with the $3100 CL or my other AMEX at $1K to maximize my chances of being granted a CLI? Thank you in advance.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.