Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice on what to do now.

tag
creditnovice8762
New Visitor

Need some advice on what to do now.

Ok so I only have one credit card. Its an American Express Optima Platinum that I opened up in 1984. Its been my only real credit card I have ever had ( I have had store cards). It has a 33,100 dollar limit. My son and lenders keep telling me I need to get one or two more cards just to not have all my eggs in one basket if you will.  What would you all reccommend I get? 

My credit report that was pulled by bank of america for an auto loan this past july showed me at 740 middle score and 729 as my lowest (transunion) and 744 as my highest (equifax) 

I have the following showing on my report 

mortgage that was opened in october of 2009 for 440,000, Current balance 388,520.XX 

Car loan opened in july of 2013. Starting amount 38,000 currently have it at about 31,000 

American express optima card opened in 1984. Curent limit 33,100 Opened in 1984, they started it with a 10,000 limit and just kept automaticly increasing it over the years (and 2 years ago they had me send them a whole bunch of documents and when they were done they informed me of my new limit via email, Not sure why they made me go through everything as I had never missed a payment and honestly didnt want the increased limit, but I figured I better do what they ask) 

I have had a few cards here and there but they were closed due to in activity (mainly around the crash) 

My oldest account according to the CR report is the amex at 29 years old. My average age is 9.8 years. 

IM government employed and have been for the last 12 years, however I have only been in my position for 5 years. 

Now that you know that about me, I would love some reccommendations on what I should apply for to increase my credit ratings, as well as have something other than the Amex, I find more and more it is not accepted and I end up having to either write a check or pay cash. Also I would love something that gave me rewards as I fly quite a lot for both work and pleasure. I really appreciate any suggestions on how to move forward. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Need some advice on what to do now.

I guess it depends on what your needs are.  Are you interested more in rewards?  If so, the Chase Freedom might be a good choice for you, and also the Barclays Sallie Mae MC, or even one of the Citi cards.

I would also get another Amex product (revolver) as that would be an easy approval for you.  

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

How about Fidelity Visa (I would normally say Amex for the 2% but since that is your only card, I would get a Visa or MC that would be more accepted when Amex is not)

Message 3 of 7
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Somewhere around 4 open card accounts is the sweet spot for FICO scoring

purposes. More won't hurt but gains very little. 

I'd recommend a card from Chase, another Amex, and a fourth prime card.

All no Annual Fee cards unless you have specific rewards cards picked out.

So: Chase Freedom, Amex BC, Barclay's Sallie Mae. Use them for bonus categories,

PIF monthly and don't fuss to much trying to extract absolute maximum rewards.

You'll get the benefit of diversification of banks & card types and should see

a nice score bump over the next 6 months. Over time you'll develop a preference

for one or two cards and use them more. Just remember to occasionally put

some use on all you want to keep.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 4 of 7
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@creditnovice8762 wrote:

Ok so I only have one credit card. Its an American Express Optima Platinum that I opened up in 1984. Its been my only real credit card I have ever had ( I have had store cards). It has a 33,100 dollar limit. My son and lenders keep telling me I need to get one or two more cards just to not have all my eggs in one basket if you will.  What would you all reccommend I get? 

My credit report that was pulled by bank of america for an auto loan this past july showed me at 740 middle score and 729 as my lowest (transunion) and 744 as my highest (equifax) 

I have the following showing on my report 

mortgage that was opened in october of 2009 for 440,000, Current balance 388,520.XX 

Car loan opened in july of 2013. Starting amount 38,000 currently have it at about 31,000 

American express optima card opened in 1984. Curent limit 33,100 Opened in 1984, they started it with a 10,000 limit and just kept automaticly increasing it over the years (and 2 years ago they had me send them a whole bunch of documents and when they were done they informed me of my new limit via email, Not sure why they made me go through everything as I had never missed a payment and honestly didnt want the increased limit, but I figured I better do what they ask) 

I have had a few cards here and there but they were closed due to in activity (mainly around the crash) 

My oldest account according to the CR report is the amex at 29 years old. My average age is 9.8 years. 

IM government employed and have been for the last 12 years, however I have only been in my position for 5 years. 

Now that you know that about me, I would love some reccommendations on what I should apply for to increase my credit ratings, as well as have something other than the Amex, I find more and more it is not accepted and I end up having to either write a check or pay cash. Also I would love something that gave me rewards as I fly quite a lot for both work and pleasure. I really appreciate any suggestions on how to move forward. Thanks! 

Pick another AMEX Revolver before you pick anything else.  Then someone here can help give you more information about how AMEX Backdates (I haven't done it, I've only read about it).  Basically once you have the card, you can call them and they report the card to all CBs for as long as you've been an AMEX member (29 years).  So it's a new tradeline but has 29 years of history.  That way new cards will not kill you AAoA.

Your scores and credit history certainly indicate that you would be approved for most AMEX cards if you meet the income requirements.

Other than than look for sign-up bonuses that are of interest to you and daily spending bonuses that would benefit you the most.  How do you spend your money, is it resturaunts, gas and groceries or is it travel?

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 5 of 7
Vegas247
Established Contributor

I would recommend Chase for their no annual fee Chase Freedom....I always like dealing with the largest banks myself. Second card.....BofA has really nice cards with no annual fees.....

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 6 of 7
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Vegas247 wrote:

I would recommend Chase for their no annual fee Chase Freedom....I always like dealing with the largest banks myself. Second card.....BofA has really nice cards with no annual fees.....

Oh yea, that's another good one I forgot about OP.  Do they still have that 3-2-1 card?

So you have your choices for sure.  Just choose which one will give you the max benefits for your type of spending patterns.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.