Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice, please!

tag
RoadBlock954
New Visitor

Need some advice, please!

Hello everyone, new member here, very glad I found this site!

Just a little bit about my situation;

I'm 22 and recently, my credit has been a bit average (I believe to the new inquiries & somewhat high Utilization)

I recently just purchased an English Bulldog puppy, which is financed for $2800

Cards (What I owe versus what my Limit is);

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday - $1800/$2000 CL

Chase Sapphire - $2000/$5000 CL

Chase Freedom - $900/$1500 CL

Capital One Platinum $500/$750 CL 

Bank of America Student Card (First card ever) - $450/$700 CL

Auto Loan (Lease on a 2013 Honda Civic) - $221 a month (36 months) already have paid 6 months.

My biggest question here is, I know that my limits are a bit high right now as my father had lost his job and I've been helping him pay but now he is getting back on his feet and helping pay back what he owes me,

I was really looking into paying off the AMEX card, within the next few months and then looking into getting the Gold Rewards AMEX card.

What do you think? Will my odds of getting the Gold card be good? I have no negative marks on my credit history, and most of the hard inquiries reported are over a year old.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from the members here!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Need some advice, please!

I'd suggest paying off your balances and optimizing your utilization before doing anything else.

Message 2 of 4
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

I'd suggest paying off your balances and optimizing your utilization before doing anything else.

+1

Your chances of achieving that goal goes down as your utilization goes up, so just reverse it.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 3 of 4
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Since you already have an Amex any denial will just be SP, approval will be HP. Obviously getting your util down only helps and if it were me I would wait, but since you already have an Amex no harm in app'ing for another.

ETA:  congrats on the puppy, I love English (and French) Bulldogs!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.