Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Need some advice

So after discussing with Affinity about my student loans and their CC. They say i would need to take 2 HPs then, cant use the same HP Smiley Sad And the other big reason i was also going to get the CC besides needing a new VIsa was that if i was taking the HP might as well go for it , because that was the only thing stopping me for applying for any new cards was creating any additional pulls.

So should i just apply for a new card such as Chase or someone and then go for my student loan since im taking a HP from them. I dont plan on applying for any new cards in the future for like a few years or till old pulls fall off. I figured if my 2 pulls are in the same month or so they will fall off at the same time too. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: Need some advice

Oh that stinks they are making you take 2 HP.  As I mentioned yesterday,  Affinity+ it's a pretty average card so if you cannot get the 2-for-1, I would say forget it...there are better choices out there.

Have you thought about the Sallie Mae card?  It's my #1 everyday card, and it's made for students.  You get 5% back on groceries (including Walmart/Target) up to $250; 5% back on gas up to $250; and 5% at book stores (including Amazon) up to $750.  Everything after that is 1%.  They pull TU

Another great one is the US Bank Cash+, but it can be difficult to get.  TU pull as well (at least in MN)

Chase Freedom is great (assuming you're OK with the rotating categories).  EX and maybe EQ pull.

If you're scores are in the high 600's to low 700's or better, you have a great shot at Sallie Mae or Freedom. Cash+ will be tough unless you have an existing relationship with US Bank and/or a really high score and a long credit history.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.