Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice.

tag
Interestedincredit
Established Member

Need some advice.

Good evening my fellow my fico members:

I am 19, have had credit since I was 16 due to AU, on my 18th b day I opened my own account

My accounts:

NASA FCU 10k/0 balance
NFCU flagship 5k/0 balance
Nfcu cash/5k/ 0 balance
Nfcu nav check/ 15k/ 1174
Chase 1200/0 balance
Discover 850/0 balance
Amex platinum NPSL
Citi forward 2k/ 0 balance
Lowes 17k/ 0 balance (yay credit solutions)
Walmart 10k / 0 balance
Us air 3k/ 0 balance

My question is, I have a personal loan with NFCU for 2650, loan was opened in January of this year. Original balance 4580. (I have been paying way more than the minimum)

My current debt strategy will leave me debt free July 1st, my loan is at 18%

My question is, my NASA card the rate is 10.9, should I tAke a cash advance from a NFCU card to pay off the loan, than do a BT to nasa to get a 10.9% rate? Or just keep the loan.

Thank you!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some advice.

You can do a BT from the credit card directly into your checking account and not have to pay the cash advance fee

However, depending how much your bank charges for BTs (usually 3-4%) this might not make financial sense. If you can afford to pay off the loan in three months the difference in interest may not be that high anyway
Message 2 of 8
Interestedincredit
Established Member

That's why I am weighing my options, I never knew you could BT to a checking account.
Message 3 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Congrats you are doing a great, job wish I had 1/10th those cards when I was 19...

I would just ride it out as is, having the loan on your report shows more divisity in your credit profile, and the difference is only 3 months, and only 1-2% interest over a year, and you state you would pay it off in July, you can get about the same savings, by working harder and paying it off a month sooner. Why bother with cash advances and Balance transfers. Not worth it in my book. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 8
Interestedincredit
Established Member

Thank you for the input!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be worried about a balance transfer to your account being billed at the cash advance rate, which is usually higher than the credit APR. If it is only a matter of a couple months, I think I would just ride it out.

BTW, congrats on your lineup. You've clearly done very well for yourself, credit-wise. 

Message 6 of 8
Interestedincredit
Established Member

Thank you very much. I think I may just keep the loan than
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You can do a BT from the credit card directly into your checking account and not have to pay the cash advance fee

However, depending how much your bank charges for BTs (usually 3-4%) this might not make financial sense. If you can afford to pay off the loan in three months the difference in interest may not be that high anyway

I agree.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.