Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some card advice

tag
eblackman
Valued Member

Need some card advice

Here is my situation:

I currently have a Suntrust MC Debit card and its a debit card not a credit card. Annual Fee is 95

I just got a letter today from Amex Delta Card that if i get that card 50K sign up bonus but the annual fee 95 waived for the first year. 

Sould i cancel my Suntrust card delta and just go with this one. 

Thanks,

E

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some card advice

@eblackman wrote:

Here is my situation:

I currently have a Suntrust MC Debit card and its a debit card not a credit card. Annual Fee is 95

I just got a letter today from Amex Delta Card that if i get that card 50K sign up bonus but the annual fee 95 waived for the first year. 

Sould i cancel my Suntrust card delta and just go with this one. 

Thanks,

E

Hi E.

What are your FICO scores?  Prior to cancelling the debit card, I would apply for the Delta card first.  Do  you have any other credit cards?  Any additional information would be appreciated.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would a debit card have an annual fee?
Message 3 of 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

The suntrust website shows the AF for their delta debit card as $75 so off the top they are ripping you off. I'd call for a reduction in the AF first, they even say a reduced AF may apply ask for details. Other than Amex's bonus offer the rewards structure is basically the same. Try for a reduction in the AF first and then go from there.
Message 4 of 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a delta airlines skymiles debit card. A world debit card with WEMC silver balls to boot. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's probably a subprime card.  That's why we all love myfico cause we can eventually move away from these lenders charging us for everything. 

Message 6 of 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's probably a subprime card.  That's why we all love myfico cause we can eventually move away from these lenders charging us for everything. 

How can a debit card be subprime? Sun trust is a regional bank not a sub prime bank and the card carries an AF because it earns sky miles the same as Amex charging an AF charging an AF on their delta revolver. Your paying for the rewards not your credit rating. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How can a debit card be subprime? Sun trust is a regional bank not a sub prime bank and the card carries an AF because it earns sky miles the same as Amex charging an AF charging an AF on their delta revolver. Your paying for the rewards not your credit rating. 

Very interesting.  If that's the case, I think I would definitely try for the Amex then.
Message 8 of 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Very interesting.  If that's the case, I think I would definitely try for the Amex then.

Agreed, an Amex revolver can do more for you than a debit card in the long run. 

Message 9 of 10
eblackman
Valued Member

Creditguy and others my apologies for not responding back but as others have mentioned its a debit card issued from suntrust bank with 75.00 annnual fee. I have two other amex cards and they are Amex Everyday and an Amex Green which i have been using for about 20 years.

I have tried on a few occasions to get them to wave the fee for the Suntrust Debit card but the answer is always no.

E

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.