cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help with Authorized accounts :)

tag
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Need some help with Authorized accounts :)

My mom and my dad both have a credit card. I am authorized user on both of them.  If their FICO scores would get damaged, by other factors then those two credit cards, would that hurt me in anyway? Lets say those two cards will be in good standing, they will be used once in a while and they will be paid on time, but my parents credit scores will be damaged by something else, will this impact me in anyway? Should I removed myself from being the authorized user?

My equifax score is 740, report as of 07/21/09 is as follow:

Factors that are hurting me: new account, accounts with balances

Factors helping me: no missed payments, low credit usage, long octant history

credit cards:

Macys Visa: CL=5,000, Balance = 324 (individual account holder)

Macy's Department Card: CL=1,500, Balance 43 (individual account holder)

Care Card: CL 5700, Balance 0 (joint account)

Bank of America Visa: CL=3,500, Balance 1,353 (individual account holder)

Chase Visa: CL=5,100, Balance 905 (Authorized User)

Bank Of America Mastercard: CL=1,200, Balance 331 (individual account holder)

Bank of America Visa: CL=8,500, Balance 0 (Authorized User)

Student loans:

NATL COLEG: Balance 14,385

AES/PNC: 8,547

AES/KEYSTO: 4,909

AES/KEYSTO: 4,764

AES/KEYSTO: 3,032

AES/KEYSTO: 2,274

AES/KEYSTO: PAID IN FULL

NATL COLEG: PAID IN FULL

Car loan:

13,114 left to pay off

Since the day (7/21/09) I checked my credit report I have paid of all of the credit cards. I only use the BofA mastercard with credit limit 12,000 because I get rewords on it, but I do try to pay the balance before the end of the statement so when I get my statement it says 0 balance. Even my parents cards are paid off that I am the authorized user on.

Is there anything I can do to get my score to 760+ maybe around 800? How much do did my score change since I paid of all of the credit cards?

My average age of accounts is 3 years, I had 12 accounts carrying balance (this changed since I paid all of them off), my newest account that was opened was 4 months ago (the two Macy's cards, store department and visa in one).

I would like to thank everyone in advance for any suggestions and comments. Thanks you.

P.S. If there is any other info needed please let me know.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some help with Authorized accounts :)

Hi Smikulski49! Welcome aboard. Smiley Happy

Great score. Definitely keep up the good work. Reading Credit Scoring 101 (see the link in my sigline) will help you get a better understanding of what actions might help your raise your credit score.

You've got a pretty good mix of credit. The AU accounts won't hurt you unless your parents were to have derogs associated with those accounts (lates, charge-offs, IIB, etc...), or if they suddenly max out the cards, negatively impacting your utilization. If any of those things were to happen you can have yourself removed as an AU.

At a glance, one thing that might give you a FICO score boost is to have no more than one card report a balance, and make sure that the balance reported is no more than 1 to 9% of the card, and your total revolving credit limit. Time is your friend as well. Keep your utilization low, never, ever, ever, ever, ever be late (...did I mention to NEVER be late?), and you'll see your score start to rise as your AAoA does. You're very close to being a FICO High Achiever!

Message 2 of 10
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the quick response LiMirth.

Now that I have all of my credit cards paid off I am only using one of them. When I pay the balance on the card before the statements closing date, will that count as not having a balance showing on the card?

I feel better now that even if my parents scores go down it will not effect me as long as the two cards that I am an authorized user on stay in good shape. Do you think I have enough credit cards and other account that even If I removed myself from being an authorized user it will not hurt my credit score that much? How long would it take me to recover from this drop?

Thanks again

Message 3 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

SMikulski49 wrote:

Thank you for the quick response LiMirth.

Now that I have all of my credit cards paid off I am only using one of them. When I pay the balance on the card before the statements closing date, will that count as not having a balance showing on the card?

I feel better now that even if my parents scores go down it will not effect me as long as the two cards that I am an authorized user on stay in good shape. Do you think I have enough credit cards and other account that even If I removed myself from being an authorized user it will not hurt my credit score that much? How long would it take me to recover from this drop?

Thanks again

I would assume that the AU cards are helping you considerably with your length of credit history and AAoA. Removing the AU cards could considerably decrease your FICO scores and it could take a very long time for you to recover the lost points. We would need a lot more information from you to be any more specific. (AAoA w/ and w/o the AU cards; Ages of each AU card and your next oldest card.)

Message 4 of 10
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

These are my caredit cards and dates when I opened them:

Macys Visa: 3/2009

Macy's Department Card: 3/2009

Care Card: 9/2004

Bank of America Mastercard: 12/2003

Bank of America Visa: 10/2003

Credit cards which I would like to remove that I am authorized user on. I will only remove them if it will not hurt my credit score alot.

Chase Visa: 12/2003

Bank of America Visa: 7/2004

What do you guys think? Any more info required? How do you go about calculating the age of credit history?

Message Edited by SMikulski49 on 09-16-2009 04:14 PM
Message Edited by SMikulski49 on 09-16-2009 04:20 PM
Message 5 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@SMikulski49 wrote:

These are my caredit cards and dates when I opened them:

Macys Visa: 3/2009

Macy's Department Card: 3/2009

Care Card: 9/2004

Bank of America Mastercard: 12/2003

Bank of America Visa: 10/2003

Credit cards which I would like to remove that I am authorized user on. I will only remove them if it will not hurt my credit score alot.

Chase Visa: 12/2003

Bank of America Visa: 7/2004

What do you guys think? Any more info required? How do you go about calculating the age of credit history?

Removing the AU cards will not change your length of credit history. It will change your AAoA from 4y 1m to 3y 6m which could lower your score. (And this assumes that you have given me every TL on your CBR's. They all count, open and closed.) You really want to keep your AAoA over 4. You could consider removing the AU accounts Apr 2010 or later. At that time the AAoA post drop would still be over 4.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditwhercreditisdue  wrote

Removing the AU cards will not change your length of credit history. It will change your AAoA from 4y 1m to 3y 6m which could lower your score. (And this assumes that you have given me every TL on your CBR's. They all count, open and closed.) You really want to keep your AAoA over 4. You could consider removing the AU accounts Apr 2010 or later. At that time the AAoA post drop would still be over 4.

CWCID  is absolutley correct,  be mindful that if you have any mortgage or installment loans you need to calculate the this into the average  account age. 

Message 7 of 10
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Below is my up to date information on all balances and dates of all the accounts on my report. 

3/2009      Macys Visa: CL=5,000, Balance = 0 (individual account holder)

3/2009      Macy's Department Card: CL=1,500, Balance 0 (individual account holder)

9/2004      Care Card: CL 5700, Balance 0 (joint account)

10/2003    Bank of America Visa: CL=3,500, Balance 0 (individual account holder)

12/2003    Chase Visa: CL=5,100, Balance 0(Authorized User)

12/2003    Bank Of America Mastercard: CL=1,200, Balance 150 (individual account holder)

7/2004      Bank of America Visa: CL=8,500, Balance 0 (Authorized User)

Student loans:

9/2006       NATL COLEG: Balance 14,385

9/2007       AES/PNC: 8,547

8/2006       AES/KEYSTO: 4,909

8/2005       AES/KEYSTO: 4,764

8/2004       AES/KEYSTO: 3,032

9/2003       AES/KEYSTO: 2,274

8/2007       AES/KEYSTO: PAID IN FULL

8/2005       NATL COLEG: PAID IN FULL

Car loan:

1/2008        13,114 left to pay off

Also, am I doing the right thing by paying off my credit cards before the closing of the statment? Do the credit card companies look at this in a negative way? I am trying to use my credit cards but have them report 0 balance when I get the statment. 

Message 8 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Also, am I doing the right thing by paying off my credit cards before the closing of the statment? Do the credit card companies look at this in a negative way? I am trying to use my credit cards but have them report 0 balance when I get the statment.

Yes you are doing it the right way. Just make sure that all of the accounts don't show zero balance each month. That can actually hurt you. I've learned that here. As for whether the CCC's care or not if you always pay before the statement posts I've never read anything to indicate that is true but others may have a different experience.

(myfico)
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 9 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

PIF'ing your accounts before the statement drops is fine and a good FICO practice. No issuer cares that you do that.

Optimal credit utilization for FICO scoring purposes is:

• Total revolving utilization > 0 and <= 9%, the lower the better, and
  • Reporting a balance on less than half of your revolving TL's, and
  • Reporting a balance on half or less of all TL's.

Anyway you get there is fair game. You only need have one revolving TL report a balance.

Given the number of installment loans you report it may be impossible for you to meet the third criteria.

The younger installment loans may be pulling your AAoA down even lower. I will try to run a calculation when I get a chance.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 09-17-2009 02:03 PM
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.