Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some ideas

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some ideas

Ok, give me some thoughts. Maybe in about 3 years i'm going to be shopping for a mortgage. My parents are members of nfcu and from what I see they are really good lenders.  My question is, should I just join nfcu and keep the checking account or apply for one of their CCs.  I was thinking having a CC with them would show them payment history internally and help me with then in the long run.  Right now I have a Discover, Capital one and BOA amex.   Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Need some ideas

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, give me some thoughts. Maybe in about 3 years i'm going to be shopping for a mortgage. My parents are members of nfcu and from what I see they are really good lenders.  My question is, should I just join nfcu and keep the checking account or apply for one of their CCs.  I was thinking having a CC with them would show them payment history internally and help me with then in the long run.  Right now I have a Discover, Capital one and BOA amex.   Thanks!

Hi Turbo

I think you should definitely at least join right now. I am so jealous that you are eligible. I want to be a member badly lol.

As far as getting a credit card, what are your scores. Do you have high util%. Do you have any baddies?

I have read that NFCU is good even if you have some baddies.

Not only having a CC with them and showing great payment history will help, but also using them for your checking and savings will look good to them as well.

Hope this helps and keep us updated 

Message 2 of 6
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

i would do it turbo..i have some past baddies 5+ yr ago (with a bk) everything else is iib about 9 accts..nothing bad since then..i love them for the most part except how they did me on inquiries..i'm even considering a re-fi w/them..but get in, who knows between now and 3 yrs from now what could change.
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

turbowrx wrote:

I'd join and get a card as well, to get some history going as you said.

Make sure that you've shined up your reports, including util, right beforehand. Concentrate on EQ, although bamagirl's comment about inqs makes me wonder if they sometimes pull all three.

Anyway, having a CU card, which typically has higher CL's, sounds like great insurance these days.

One of the many great things about dealing with Navy, USAA, PenFed, and other big CU's is that they have so many different things to offer. If you get in with them in one area, it's bound to help in others.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx. I think i'm gonna go for it. I hope NFCU gives high limits  Smiley Happy

By the way i sent you a message hauling

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

turbowrx wrote:

Thx. I think i'm gonna go for it. I hope NFCU gives high limits  Smiley Happy

By the way i sent you a message hauling

Got it, and no prob. It's like walking through minefields sometimes!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.