Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to apply for BoA travel card.

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Need to apply for travel or miles card

I disagree with trumpet about Amex charge cards about being locked into one or two airline providers.  In fact it is the opposite.  Mr points and things like ur points allow flexibility in that the allow movement of points to many airlines.  The magic thing about miles is that you can obtain much better value than some set pt to value amount (eg 1 cent per pt).  The downside of miles is that you need a certain amount to be useful.  Be aware many "travel" cards basically just discount your travel expenses as some set amount which isn't the same thing.  Might as well take cash back or something like that.  Btw, be aware zync doesn't allowtransfer to miles, but only the discount thing.  However if you convert to green or above, your mr express points from zync will change too.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 11 of 28
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I don'tmean to pile on, but are you sure you need a "travel card"? There are basically two types of travel cards: those that earn travel rewards from spending and those that earn rewards or save money while traveling. In general, you need to spend a lot of money for the first group to make sense and you need to travel a lot for the second group to make sense. If you don't fall into one of these groups, you are way better off with a cash reward card like the freedom or bce. Others can offer their cutoffs, but when friends ask, I suggest the following: if you spent 40k or more on credit cards last year (or would have if you had the limits to do so), consider the first category. If you have more than 100k in miles or credits in any frequent flyer or frequent stay program,consider the latter category. The exceptions would be if your job has changed to add considerable travel or if you are planning an extensive vacation (such as a month in Europe, an around the world adventure, etc.). I know you see people posting about how great the csp, Amex prg, Amex spg,delta, united, Amex plat, etc. are. But what they aren't telling you is that they are the Asian rep for their company, or they run 50k a month in expenses through the card, or they spend 3 weeks/month on the road. This is why you see several threads a week of people disappointed with their Amex, or their other high fee travel card. Because they really only make sense for a small fraction of consumers.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pardeep wrote:

Hello friends,

I have 3 cards and want to get some travel card which can help me saving few bucks on my next vacation. I have limited credit history and need experts advice before appying.

10 month with cap1 limit 750

1 month old navy 2000

1 month discover 1500

I keep my balances near 10-15  %

I know i should garden for couple of months but heard somewhere that having 5 cards help building very good credit file.

I already have 6-8 inqueries in past 1 year but willing to apply for 2 more cards. Please suggest, i am planning to apply chase freedom and boa travel card in aug end and sep end.

My score is around 680-700 range.

From all the discussion,I have decided to apply for BoA travel card. I want to get it asap, your help is required here. I have 2 options.

My discover card is not reported yet on my credit files, it will report on 16th. Old navy will report on 11th. My first option is to apply on 15th when my AAoA will be 6 months and total credir limit 2750. Second option is to apply after 1 or 2 months, If I apply after next month then AAoA will decrease because of 3 new accounts. 

I dont know what BoA will look for, AAoA or big CL with more no. of accounts.

Message 13 of 28
YahComb
Established Contributor

just so you know, total age and AAOA only cares about the month the card was opened, not specific date. So if you're waiting for that, it's updated for the month.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 14 of 28
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

If you want a great Travel Card but dont want to pay an annual fee its going to be really hard for you. There are some good cards without annual fees, like the Chase Sapphire its a Visa sig, so your limit would have to be 5k. I say it is only good because the Chase Sapphire preffered is GREAT!!  

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed offers a nice AMEX travel card and membership will allow you to go for other products as needed.

https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pardeep wrote:

@Pardeep wrote:

Hello friends,

I have 3 cards and want to get some travel card which can help me saving few bucks on my next vacation. I have limited credit history and need experts advice before appying.

1 month old navy 2000

1 month discover 1500

I know i should garden for couple of months but heard somewhere that having 5 cards help building very good credit file.

I already have 6-8 inqueries in past 1 year but willing to apply for 2 more cards. Please suggest, i am planning to apply chase freedom and boa travel card in aug end and sep end.

From all the discussion,I have decided to apply for BoA travel card. I want to get it asap, your help is required here. I have 2 options.

My discover card is not reported yet on my credit files, it will report on 16th. Old navy will report on 11th. My first option is to apply on 15th when my AAoA will be 6 months and total credir limit 2750. Second option is to apply after 1 or 2 months, If I apply after next month then AAoA will decrease because of 3 new accounts. 

can any established member shred some light on this. I am confused if i should apply for BoA before discover get reported to my file. You can understand that after 3 cards my AAoA will decrease further. 

Message 17 of 28
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Pardeep wrote:

@Pardeep wrote:

Hello friends,

1 month old navy 2000

1 month discover 1500

Also, there is no '6 month' AAoA.   1 year is the lowest AAoA possible with FICO.   Everything between 0 years and 2 years is rounded to '1 year'.

EDIT:  I think you have a good chance of being declined credit at any lender you choose, considering your short history.   But you have a better chance with cards that are not going to deny you simply because they don't feel comfortable giving out a large credit limit.  If you are so eager to go travelling asap, I would just try the BoA Travel Rewards now, and if you don't get it, then wait a few months a try again later.  You should stop applying for new cards at some point, though, especially considering that you already have all you need to garden and start building a good positive credit history

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Pardeep wrote:

@Pardeep wrote:

Hello friends,

11 month with cap1 limit 750

1 month old navy 2000 - reported new card on 11th jul

1 month discover 1500 - will report new card on 16th aug

Also, there is no '6 month' AAoA.   1 year is the lowest AAoA possible with FICO.   Everything between 0 years and 2 years is rounded to '1 year'.

EDIT:  I think you have a good chance of being declined credit at any lender you choose, considering your short history.   But you have a better chance with cards that are not going to deny you simply because they don't feel comfortable giving out a large credit limit.  If you are so eager to go travelling asap, I would just try the BoA Travel Rewards now, and if you don't get it, then wait a few months a try again later.  You should stop applying for new cards at some point, though, especially considering that you already have all you need to garden and start building a good positive credit history

thanks, that what i wanted to know before i apply. I will apply on 15th aug for better chances of approval. 

Message 19 of 28
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

I disagree with trumpet about Amex charge cards about being locked into one or two airline providers.  In fact it is the opposite.  Mr points and things like ur points allow flexibility in that the allow movement of points to many airlines.  The magic thing about miles is that you can obtain much better value than some set pt to value amount (eg 1 cent per pt).  The downside of miles is that you need a certain amount to be useful.  Be aware many "travel" cards basically just discount your travel expenses as some set amount which isn't the same thing.  Might as well take cash back or something like that.  Btw, be aware zync doesn't allowtransfer to miles, but only the discount thing.  However if you convert to green or above, your mr express points from zync will change too.

Take AMEX Green for example, it has AF of $95. For occasional travler AMEX charge card is a terrible deal because you won't earn enough MR points to offset the AF. Airline miles have higher redemption threshold which is why I say you better be loyal to 1 or 2 airliners, otherwise it will take very long time to redeem something out of it.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.