Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to get approved - which card??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to get approved - which card??

I'm sure my story is just like a lot of other people's. I need to get approved for a CC, but need to get pointed in the right direction. I actually know a lot about credit, and the financial industry, but can't understand why I can't get approved. I need an auto loan in about 6 months, and I know that getting a major CC is the only way that will happen. Here is my situation:

EXP Score: 733

Other 2 - Over 700

Income - $55,000

- My mother registered me for a Dillards card that she's used for at least two years. It was paid off, or on time every month. The high balance was $1,800 and currently has a $0 balance. It hasn't been used in months. 

- 3 months ago I applied for a Kohls card, Amex Blue and a BOA (my current bank) CC and was denied by all, in that order.

- After I was denied, I applied for a Macy's card, and they gave me a $500 limit. The card has been reported paid, on time for the last 3 months, with a high balance of $325. Current balance of $200.

I've done everything right (as far as I can tell) and want to apply again. I checked my "pre-approval" status from both Cap1 and Amex, but both said that they didn't have "any offers" for me. Should I apply for Cap1 anyways??

What should I do?  Please help!!!

P.S. - I do not want a secured card. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Need to get approved - which card??

where did you get your scores from?  it's almost impossible to get your EX (Experian) score, so i'm wondering if your other scores are inaccurate as well.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free credit report

I did all 3 a few months ago, but updated my Experian just a few hours ago. 

Message 3 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

i don't think those are accurate FICO scores, they are what are known as FAKO (fake-o) scores.  they do not really parallel actual FICO scores.

your real scores may actually be higher or lower, sometimes by a lot.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

And I just learned that FCR is a fako. Will look into my scores here at myfico

Message 5 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Free credit report

Unfortunately you cannot buy a true FICO score there. If you look closely around their site you won't see the word "FICO" anywhere.

No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com. There is recent confusion about whether a FICO score is still available at www.equifax.com or if Equifax has begun selling a non-FICO (FAKO) score and I still don't have it straight in my mind.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not letting me confirm my identity because I don't have one of the account numbers....Any suggestions about what to do before I get that information?? Thanks!

Message 7 of 11
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

You should call the cust service # for assistance...they can help you.  Also...do a google search for "fico discount codes"  You can save about $10 on the two combined.

Lastly...you should check into joining a credit union.  They give amazing auto rates.  Much better than any bank.  And they have nicer cc's as well!  Maybe your parents or siblings belong to one?  Check into it...you'll be pleasantly surprised.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure my story is just like a lot of other people's. I need to get approved for a CC, but need to get pointed in the right direction. I actually know a lot about credit, and the financial industry, but can't understand why I can't get approved. I need an auto loan in about 6 months, and I know that getting a major CC is the only way that will happen. Here is my situation:

EXP Score: 733

Other 2 - Over 700

Income - $55,000

- My mother registered me for a Dillards card that she's used for at least two years. It was paid off, or on time every month. The high balance was $1,800 and currently has a $0 balance. It hasn't been used in months. 

- 3 months ago I applied for a Kohls card, Amex Blue and a BOA (my current bank) CC and was denied by all, in that order.

- After I was denied, I applied for a Macy's card, and they gave me a $500 limit. The card has been reported paid, on time for the last 3 months, with a high balance of $325. Current balance of $200.

I've done everything right (as far as I can tell) and want to apply again. I checked my "pre-approval" status from both Cap1 and Amex, but both said that they didn't have "any offers" for me. Should I apply for Cap1 anyways??

What should I do?  Please help!!!

P.S. - I do not want a secured card. 

CU is good idea if you can join one.

If that doesn't work out, reconsider on the secured card, which may be your easiest quickest way to get a major CC.    Check out the Captial One Secured Card for Young Adults. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Free credit report

Unfortunately you cannot buy a true FICO score there. If you look closely around their site you won't see the word "FICO" anywhere.

No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com. There is recent confusion about whether a FICO score is still available at www.equifax.com or if Equifax has begun selling a non-FICO (FAKO) score and I still don't have it straight in my mind.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

MV,

I logged into my EQ account today, and I noticed they are selling FAKO's. However on my score power, that I just pulled, was indeed a FICO. I am wondering if you need to be subscribed to the monthly service to pull the score power report now.

Another thing is to watch out when they say EQ score... this is their model, not FICO. Looks from the website the only FICO scores you can pull there, you need to be subscribed under ''Debt Wise, or Score Watch" to get real FICO's. If not, you may receive a FAKO by pulling just a report and score. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.