Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need unsecured credit card suggestions

tag
ji9
Regular Contributor

Need unsecured credit card suggestions

Filed a Chapter 13 BK in Jan 2009, converted to Chapter 7 this year and discharged Sep 2011.   DH and my credit scores are as follows:

Me:

Trans Union 608

Equifax 612

DH:

Trans Union 594

Equifax 659

I'm in the middle of trying to clean up some stuff on both that might impove the scores but am looking for suggestions on any time of unsecured credit.  Could be gas cards, store cards, regular cards anything at all.  We have a Cap 1 secured but I really don't want to keep tying up money in secured cards.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.   Thank you.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 608 (TU) 612 (EQ)
Current Score: 679 (TU) 679 (EQ)
Goal: 760 on all
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Re: Need unsecured credit card suggestions

Well the standard big three of unsecured rebuilders are:

Capital One. They gave me a 300CL when I had zero positive active trade lines. 9 months later Barclay gave me $2K CL.

Orchard Bank: Have given a lot of people a 300CL when no one else would. I would have signed up with them 9 months ago if I didn't charge them off back in 2005.

First Premier: Avoid at ALL costs. They will hammer you with 40% APR and $95-$195 AF.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to Capital One, the other more prime banks that offer Secured Credit Cards are Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citibank, Fifth Third Bank, National City Bank, US Bank, and USAA Bank. 

We have 3 secured cards, a Mastercard through Capital One, a Visa through US Bank and, an Amex through USAA Bank.  For the Amex through USAA Bank, you do have to have a military affiliation. 

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In addition to Capital One, the other more prime banks that offer Secured Credit Cards are Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citibank, Fifth Third Bank, National City Bank, US Bank, and USAA Bank. 

We have 3 secured cards, a Mastercard through Capital One, a Visa through US Bank and, an Amex through USAA Bank.  For the Amex through USAA Bank, you do have to have a military affiliation. 

Hope this helps!

National City merged with PNC last year. I think they still have the secured card which was one of the best on the market.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mercy!  I just re-read this thread and realized you were asking for UNsecured credit card suggestions.  It is obviously time for me to get my eyes checked!  

Sorry about that. (insert embarrassed face icon)  

Message 5 of 7
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Has cap one sent you any offers for other cards yet? They usually do but then if you get one of their cards you'll be stuck with a low limit card forever. You could go to whogavemecredit.com and you will get a pretty good idea on approvals with your scores. Is the cap one card the only card/credit you have? How long have you had it? What other baddies are on your report?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 7
ji9
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the responses.   We were getting lot's of preapprovals until we converted the BK but most were with very high fee's.  I've recently opted out so I don't expect to see many preapproved offers coming in the mail.  If anyone has any suggestions for unsecured cards that would be great and/or regarding the secured cards, which one's report to all 3 cra's.

Thanks!  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 608 (TU) 612 (EQ)
Current Score: 679 (TU) 679 (EQ)
Goal: 760 on all
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.