Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need up to date information on authorized users

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need up to date information on authorized users

Good afternoon,

Im researching left and right to find a clear answer on adding authorized users to credit cards. I finding all sorts of answers some pre-2008 saying yes and some post-2008 saying it does or doesnt effect the credit history of a authorized user. I personally fell victim to the recession and so did my business forcing me to file for chapter 7 to keep myself afloat and start fresh. I now have no debt and a consistent source of income, and I am trying to build credit. One idea someone mentioned is having a family member add me to their credit card to help boost my credit score as fast as possible. This would be my parents. Theyre willing to help, but we are both unsure if its actually going to work with all the change in the FICO system I read about in 2008. Some mentioned the decisions to not hold authorized users credit score responsible on a credit card was reversed. Ultimately Im trying to be an authorized user on my parents HSBC/Best Buy card to do no interest financing and purchase a new notebook for grad school. In additon add me to their Visa card account, but they would primarily be the only ones making purchases.  I hope I gave enough details to get a clear answer here.

Thanks

Brian

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need up to date information on authorized users

@Anonymous wrote:

Good afternoon,

Im researching left and right to find a clear answer on adding authorized users to credit cards. I finding all sorts of answers some pre-2008 saying yes and some post-2008 saying it does or doesnt effect the credit history of a authorized user. I personally fell victim to the recession and so did my business forcing me to file for chapter 7 to keep myself afloat and start fresh. I now have no debt and a consistent source of income, and I am trying to build credit. One idea someone mentioned is having a family member add me to their credit card to help boost my credit score as fast as possible. This would be my parents. Theyre willing to help, but we are both unsure if its actually going to work with all the change in the FICO system I read about in 2008. Some mentioned the decisions to not hold authorized users credit score responsible on a credit card was reversed. Ultimately Im trying to be an authorized user on my parents HSBC/Best Buy card to do no interest financing and purchase a new notebook for grad school. In additon add me to their Visa card account, but they would primarily be the only ones making purchases.  I hope I gave enough details to get a clear answer here.

Thanks

Brian

Welcome to the forums.

Yes it can help you IF the account is older than any of yours (older than your current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

AU's are generally not responsible for charges made but as always there might be exceptions to this depending on the issuer. What the primary account owner can do is not let the AU have access to the card. Use it strictly for credit building.

Edited for a typo.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know for a fact my parent's HSBC/Bestbuy account is older than mine and they have next to perfect credit. When I contacted HSBC I spoke with a supervisor intitally and asked if me being added to the account and making payments can help my credit. The answer was yes. When I called back to clarify Id be an authorized user. The rep responded no, but wasnt very confident in their answer. Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I know for a fact my parent's HSBC/Bestbuy account is older than mine and they have next to perfect credit. When I contacted HSBC I spoke with a supervisor intitally and asked if me being added to the account and making payments can help my credit. The answer was yes. When I called back to clarify Id be an authorized user. The rep responded no, but wasnt very confident in their answer. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if HSBC reports AU's. I'll let others comment on that.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I have you and might be able to avoid countless time on automated systems to get ahold of a rep. Any idea on Mastercard/Citibank reporting AUs? Your feedback is appreciated.

Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Since I have you and might be able to avoid countless time on automated systems to get ahold of a rep. Any idea on Mastercard/Citibank reporting AUs? Your feedback is appreciated.

I do know that Citi reports AU's as well as Discover and Capital One. At least for me they do.

ETA: laz98 jogged my memory. BoA reports AU's also.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 6 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do know that Citi reports AU's as well as Discover and Capital One. At least for me they do.

citi, navy federal, bank of america, capital one all report AUs for us.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.