Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing Advice

tag
doc101
Regular Contributor

Needing Advice

Currently I have 3 CC's, all Cap 1 . One is secured ($300CL) , 2 unsecured ( $300CL, previously Orchard Bank ) and Quiksilver Rewards ($500 CL). Recently applied for a CC thru my credit union and was approved for $500 CL. 4 cards is alot and was thinking of closing the secured card. Good or bad idea?

Starting Score:Equifax 543
Current Score:EQ659 TU 716 EXP677 updated 7/3/2016
Goal Score: 700

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Needing Advice

@doc101 wrote:

Currently I have 3 CC's, all Cap 1 . One is secured ($300CL) , 2 unsecured ( $300CL, previously Orchard Bank ) and Quiksilver Rewards ($500 CL). Recently applied for a CC thru my credit union and was approved for $500 CL. 4 cards is alot and was thinking of closing the secured card. Good or bad idea?

If your balances are low and you just want 3 cards moving forward to build better history and credit score then sure close the secured.

Message 2 of 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Needing Advice

You have a total CL of $1600.

If you close the card, your AAoA will not be affected, and your new CL will be $1300.

This means that your new utilization will be around 1.23 times (1600/1300) what it was before, for example going from 10% utilization to 12.3% utilization.

If your utilization is low, I'd say to go for it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.