cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neg balance after dispute

tag
serving

Neg balance after dispute

This is my first time ever having a dispute on a credit card. My card was used two months ago to buy a diving class and equipment. I disbued the charge and Capitol one gave me the money back instantly. I got a letter in the mail stating the money was recoved and the dispute was closed. 10-15 days ago I recieved a refund from the merchant. Now I have a neg balance. 

I called capital one and they said they recoved the money from the vendor in full then they did a refund by themselfs. 

So now I have a neg $400 balance, what do I do? I want to keep using the card to keep my utilization going but if I spend  the 400 on the card to get a balance to report I'm afraid they will take away the double refund and screw my uti. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Neg balance after dispute

@serving wrote:

This is my first time ever having a dispute on a credit card. My card was used two months ago to buy a diving class and equipment. I disbued the charge and Capitol one gave me the money back instantly. I got a letter in the mail stating the money was recoved and the dispute was closed. 10-15 days ago I recieved a refund from the merchant. Now I have a neg balance. 

I called capital one and they said they recoved the money from the vendor in full then they did a refund by themselfs. 

So now I have a neg $400 balance, what do I do? I want to keep using the card to keep my utilization going but if I spend  the 400 on the card to get a balance to report I'm afraid they will take away the double refund and screw my uti. 

You received two refunds?

Message 2 of 6
serving

Yes A refund/balance adjustment from Capitol one. Then a refund from the merchant after the dispute was closed. 

Message 3 of 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

if you paid already and got a refund then it will be a negative balance but if you did not pay the charge it should just level out.

now to the question:

.. negative balance with Cap1 they will mai a check to you. And they even do it for any amount.. I have the bad habit of rounding up my payments to the next 5$ and this is a big mistake with Cap1...they send me checks for 1.07$  Smiley Sad Smiley Sad.... I have to stop rounding their payments!

Message 4 of 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

@serving wrote:

Yes A refund/balance adjustment from Capitol one. Then a refund from the merchant after the dispute was closed. 

If the money has been refunded twice, then I'd contact Cap One and explain this to them, and ask them what to do about it.

Message 5 of 6
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Cap one will figure it out and recharge your account accordingly. It sounds to me that you disputed the charge of 400. Got a refund from capone for 400 and the merchant for 400. Call cap one to fix the error.
As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.