Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative CC balance? Paid Citi card over labor day weekend, went through twice

tag
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Negative CC balance? Paid Citi card over labor day weekend, went through twice

For some reason it shows that I have paid the same (full) amount twice on my Citi card. Both payments are showing as "Credited" and not pending. My bank (chase) shows both payments as Pending still.

What should I do? If I make purchases with my citi card... will it use the surplus of money on my CC? Should I make a "negative" payment to my CC and get my money back? Should I call Citi or my Bank?

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Negative CC balance? Paid Citi card over labor day weekend, went through twice

As long as you have enough dollars in your bank account to cover the double payment, I wouldn't do anything...it will work itself out...either your bank will catch the double payment, or Citi will.

Or not...and you'll end up with a negative balance on your credit card, and your next few purchases are already paid for!  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Negative CC balance? Paid Citi card over labor day weekend, went through twice

you will be fine.

if you want that money back, you can call Citi and have them send you a refund check for the balance.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I would hold off until the payments clear.  Did you pay online through the Citi website or by phone?  Hopefully the system only recognized 1 payment transaction instead of two, unless you clicked "submit" twice.

Message 4 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

I would hold off until the payments clear.  Did you pay online through the Citi website or by phone?  Hopefully the system only recognized 1 payment transaction instead of two, unless you clicked "submit" twice.

I think if its showing twice on Chase side than it submitted twice

Message 5 of 6
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Used the live chat feature on Citi's website and had the amount credited back to my bank. The representative said it would take 3-5 days or something. 

I only clicked the submit button once but there must've been a lot of activity or some kind of screwup due to the holiday weekend. I assume I'm not paid some kind of interest if I left the amount with them Smiley Tongue 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.