Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Consequences to churning Amex?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Negative Consequences to churning Amex?

I recently got the SPG Biz and Amex Gold Biz for the sweet sign up bonuses. The SPG's 25,000 are already banked and the Gold's 75,000 will be coming in the next month or so. I just applied for these on 5/17/13, received them a few days later and then made the spending requirements within the next week or so. Mission almost accomplished. Just gotta secure my MR points in a different currency or open another Amex that is MR eligible.

I know Amex has the policy that you can't be eligible for future new applicant bonuses if you have owned the cards during ther last 12 months. So, by that rationale, the sooner these are closed the better. Anyone ever have negative back lash from Amex for going after the bonus and then closing the cards shortly have getting the bonus?

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: Negative Consequences to churning Amex?

I haven't done that but I would imagine AMEX would blacklist you if they suspected that you're just churning their cards.
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@GaTech wrote:
I haven't done that but I would imagine AMEX would blacklist you if they suspected that you're just churning their cards.

I agree Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 29
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

My mom recently signed up for the Platinum when it was 100,000 points after $3,000 spend.  I told her to spend, sell the points and close the card to get a refund of the fee. On the telephone call to close the card, the woman made a point to mention that my mom had redeemed the points already and just got the card but cancelled anyway. The whole thing happened within two months and her Blue Cash Everyday is still open. I plan to close the Delta and Premier Rewards Gold pretty soon, so I will see what happens to me. If you don't care about their cards (we don't) you can do it. If you would care if they closed your cards for abusing sign up bonuses or prevent you from earning points in the future, you could just not do it.

Message 4 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

My mom recently signed up for the Platinum when it was 100,000 points after $3,000 spend.  I told her to spend, sell the points and close the card to get a refund of the fee. On the telephone call to close the card, the woman made a point to mention that my mom had redeemed the points already and just got the card but cancelled anyway. The whole thing happened within two months and her Blue Cash Everyday is still open. I plan to close the Delta and Premier Rewards Gold pretty soon, so I will see what happens to me. If you don't care about their cards (we don't) you can do it. If you would care if they closed your cards for abusing sign up bonuses or prevent you from earning points in the future, you could just not do it.

Do you think a lot of this happening will eventually hurt everyone by mediocre sign up bonuses in the future?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

+1.

Not sure if Amex is as strict as Chase is on this, but if they are, you will be blacklisted for at least some time. I won't be surprised though.

If you do this once or twice over the span of say uh 5 years, you probably should be fine.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

Do you think a lot of this happening will eventually hurt everyone by mediocre sign up bonuses in the future?

I don't think it will, since people who do this are just a very very small group.

Banks will probably just enforce even stricter rules on this group of people, such as either lowering the threshold to get blacklisted, or not qualifying them for future sign-up bonuses entirely.

Most people won't do this because of the inquiry + AAoA hit on the account.

Sign-up bonuses are also mostly meant as a marketing tool to attract customers. Lackluster bonuses will hardly attract anyone unless the card has really good benefits.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 29
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but this was the first and most likely only time that we will do this. Their sign up bonuses are already mediocre and those offers were for a limited time only. Unlike others, my experiences with American Express have been terrible, so I am not concerned about them losing money on me. Most people on here suggest people doing the same with the Sapphire Preferred.

Message 8 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but this was the first and most likely only time that we will do this. Their sign up bonuses are already mediocre and those offers were for a limited time only. Unlike others, my experiences with American Express have been terrible, so I am not concerned about them losing money on me. Most people on here suggest people doing the same with the Sapphire Preferred.

Im curious about it because it doesn't seem worth it to me. I guess it is for some.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Sign-up bonuses are also mostly meant as a marketing tool to attract customers. Lackluster bonuses will hardly attract anyone unless the card has really good benefits.

+1

Sign-up bonuses are based on interest rates and current economic environment.  

If they were to be reduced, it wouldn't be because of those who sign up and cancel, but a change in strategy for marketing dollars.  For instance, if rates were 10%, it would make more sense for the Bank to loan out their cash or earn short term interest; conversely, with such low rates and imminent inflation (devaluation), makes much more sense to allocate excess cash towards client acquisition, since this will also lower taxable income.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.